Senior Financial Analyst - Budget Office
Summary of Position
The Senior Financial Analyst reports to the Associate Director, Budgeting and is a key member of the Budget team, actively participates in establishing, analyzing, and maintaining the university’s $300+ million operating budget, and assists with the oversight of Budget Office operations and analysis requirements.
- Assists with the development of the annual operating and multi-year budgets, and assists with compiling year-end projections. Provide financial and analytical support to the Senior VP of Finance/Treasurer, VP of Finance and Associate Director and assists in various projects related to budget development and budget analysis as needed.
- Provides guidance and support to departments and divisions for all non-personnel expense requests, including the review of historical data, analysis of expenditures trends and consideration of accounting or process changes.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of predictive financial models for strategic financial planning initiatives and processes and/or executive reporting dashboards.
- Monitors budget to actual results throughout the year to ensure activity remains within budget. Keeps senior management apprised of significant budget trends, deficits, and surpluses. Working with the Budget team and the Controller’s Office, supports and assists with the preparation of internal management financial reporting presentation(s).
- Assists with the maintenance, development, and support of the financial systems.
- Work on special projects, supports training of staff, represents the Budget Office at meetings and serves as subject matter expert on university financial and budgeting matters; other financial related tasks or duties assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree required preferably in finance/accounting or related field.
- An MBA or CPA a plus.
- 7 to 10 years of experience in a budgeting, accounting or auditing function, preferably in a higher education or non-profit setting.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with many areas across an organization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including high level of fluency with Excel formulas and functions.
- Experience with budgeting, financial and accounting software preferred (Workday, Adaptive, and Colleague).
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numerical data along with problem solving ability is critical.
- A high level of comfort working in a team environment, often under tight deadlines.
- The ability to work independently and with highly confidential information.
- Identify and drive process and reporting improvements.