Director of Advancement Communications
Suffolk University, founded in 1906, has a growing alumni population of close to 85,000. The Office of Advancement has achieved significant fundraising success in the past 4 years and has surpassed several fundraising records and alumni engagement goals. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President for Advancement and in close collaboration with University senior leadership, the Director, Advancement Communications has responsibility for the development and implementation of a comprehensive Advancement communications program that will continue to engage our alumni and donors and ensure that the University’s Advancement goals and objectives continue to be achieved.
In conjunction with the Advancement team as well as leaders in the communications division, the Director will develop and execute an Advancement driven communications strategy that includes web, print, digital, and social media communications, in support of the University‘s Strategic Plan 2025 and our Advancement goals. The successful candidate will ensure that all Advancement communications are aligned with the University Strategic Plan and branding campaigns.
- Develops and executes a comprehensive Advancement communication program
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President for Advancement and working with senior University leadership, develops and executes a comprehensive Advancement communications program that includes metrics to measure impact and success.
- Supports front-line fundraising
Uses traditional print, online, social media, and rapidly evolving digital technologies to develop a multi-channel advancement communications program that includes cases for support and fundraising collateral materials to present fundraising priorities of the Strategic Plan 2025. Supports the needs of front-line fundraisers in designing and producing fundraising and stewardship collateral materials such as proposals, cases for support and donor impact reports.
- Creates communications that align with Advancement goals
Collaborates and communicates regularly with all Advancement staff, Marketing and Communications and Public Affairs staff, and the University’s senior administrators, deans, faculty, and others. Working closely with Communications and Marketing colleagues, ensures consistent high-quality Development and Alumni Relations communications that align Advancement goals and the Strategic Plan 2025. Creates communications that clearly project the Suffolk brand to all constituencies. Balances and prioritizes multiple requests and to produces a wide variety of materials on behalf of Advancement.
- Member and contributor to the Advancement Senior Management Team
As a member of the Senior Vice President senior management team, the Director leads strategic initiatives, planning and projects for advancement communications. A primary responsibility is to ensure that our communication strategies and tactics are most efficiently utilized in support of the Office of Advancement’s fundraising and alumni relations goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5-10 years of professional communications experience, preferably in Advancement and Higher Education.
- Demonstrated competencies and progressive success in some combination of fundraising writing, proposal and grant writing, annual giving and major gift fundraising copy writing, case materials development, and publications production.
- Demonstrated digital and social media expertise and experience, especially as related to alumni engagement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated editorial experience and skills preferred.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced deadline and goal oriented environment, simultaneously balancing diverse responsibilities.
- Ability to coordinate with multiple departments and work both collaboratively and independently.
- Advanced skills in databases, Microsoft Office and relevant marketing and communications software.