Senior Material Artist
About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We're advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we're all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with the 24/7 Babylon digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Senior Material Artist to assist in helping us build stunning and inspiring environments for an upcoming title. Working within our multi-discipline art team, you will be creating high-quality tiling and procedural materials for floors, walls, and assets for a photorealistic video game environment. This will be in line with the art direction and technical requirements of a AAA real-time games project and be used in tandem with the needs of the wider art team.
Work with the Art Leads and fellow artists to create the necessary PBR materials to craft a photorealistic AAA environment, creating both tiling materials for surfaces as well as materials for asset creation and visual consistency. These materials will be used on real-time scenes in a game’s engine as well as in numerous asset creation pipelines.
Collaborate with Art Leads and other departments such as Art Direction, Concept Art and Tech Art to ensure a consistent art style is maintained across the game’s materials while maintaining game play and performance requirements.
Build and maintain a high quality PBR material library, consistency and technical standard across the project.
Create Benchmark Materials as well as be able to create/improve Material Pipelines and Workflows in Substance Designer and Painter while also documenting it.
Ability to mentor other production artists and junior material artists.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strong skills in art software packages such as Maya, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter and Photoshop.
- Good understanding of art fundamentals and design (including understanding of composition and colour)
- Good communication skills and ability to receive and act upon feedback
- Solve problems that arise during production with creative solutions
- Hardworking and have a strong passion to learn and improve as an artist
- Be able to manage and mentor a small team
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Industry experience in a similar role
- Unreal Engine 4/5 experience
- Previous experience in other software packages such as Quixel Mixer and procedural tools such as Houdini
- Experience in procedural workflows for asset creation
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.