Lead Online Services Programmer
About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We're advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we're all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with the 24/7 Babylon digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
Online Services Leads are responsible for the output of an Online Services team who design, implement and support client side game features that interface with back end and platform level services.
Our Online Services teams work closely with backend services engineers and frontend UI engineers, to help realise features such as Matchmaking, Telemetry, Player Statistics, VOIP solutions, Lobby flow and integrating with XboxLive / Steam / PSN features such as Auth, Rich Presence, Messaging and Party management.
Leads plan sprints for their team, effectively prioritising work to make ideal use of each team member’s skills. Drawing upon their experience they will share knowledge with their team to create robust, flexible interfaces that respect the core technical pillars of a project. They work closely with other disciplines to realise their ideas and are not afraid to dive into hands-on work when necessary.
We trust our Lead OS Programmers with a large degree of autonomy throughout the development cycle, and they put the needs of their team over their own. They are capable leaders who empower their team of programmers, keeping them motivated, providing effective coaching, feedback, and opportunities for growth along the way. They regularly work with the title’s leadership team to solve project-level issues and represent their discipline effectively both internally as well as to external partners.
You Excel At:
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly-focused team.
- Ensuring that our games are robust and error-tolerant, aiming to provide the best possible player experience at all times.
- A strong background in programming for video games; you’ve worked on at least 1 commercial project.
- Advanced knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience and good practices.
- Demonstrable experience interacting with external APIs and services within a large and robust system
- Professional experience integrating external APIs with game clients: PSN / XBL / Steam.
- Multi-platform console development experience.
- A can-do attitude and strong interpersonal skills; you love collaborating with others to architect and implement systems.
- Strong time management and organisational skills; you can assist others in getting the job done without supervision.
- Good communication and presentation skills; you’re able to present ideas clearly and confidently to audiences of all experience levels.
Even better if you have :
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4)
- A real passion for Online and clear enthusiasm for playing games.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.