Lead Lighting Artist
About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We're advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we're all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with the 24/7 Babylon digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Lead Lighting Artist with a strong understanding of lighting and composition to build upon the work of the other artists, while enhancing and supporting their work. Operating within our multi-discipline art team, you will be leading artists, setting workflows, providing visual benchmarks and mentoring.
You’ll be inspiring the team and setting the map art quality bar while collaborating closely with the Art Director and other sub discipline Art Leads to ensure the maps are fun to play and look visually impressive.
Job Responsibilities Will Include:
- Translating the Art Director’s vision into achievable scene lighting for both gameplay and cinematics.
- Building a lighting pipeline within the Unreal engine working with Technical Art and Engineering teams.
- Leading, motivating and inspiring a team of creative artists while helping them to maintain quality, efficiency and consistency through feedback and mentoring.
- Establishing team processes and best practices.
- Coordination and collaboration with the project’s Production team and with other discipline Leads.
- Maintaining performance requirements while ensuring a high quality bar for the game.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Solid Expierence in Games or Film generating final lighting / rendering
- Experience as a Lead Artist on one shipped AAA title
- Experience as a Senior / Lead Artist in building a lighting pipeline in Unreal Engine
- Deep understanding of Physically Based Rendering and HDR pipelines
- Mastery over the baked and dynamic lighting solutions in Unreal
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine lighting tools
- A solid artistic foundation in the application of tone, colour and composition
- An understanding of cinematography lighting fundamentals
- Awareness of the emotional storytelling that lighting brings to a scene
- Experience developing quality lighting under runtime constraints
- Able to provide clear feedback and receive direction with humility
- Competent communication skills
- Passion for game development
- High level of autonomy and initiativetaking
- A critical eye for quality
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us, we'd love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.