Associate Engineer, Sustaining
As an Associate Sustaining Engineer and member of the SoFi Command Center, you are the first line for fielding requests for support with the products and services that SoFi Engineering provides, with proportional urgency, to its internal stakeholders and its external members as well as prospective customers. You will also be responsible for ensuring that system anomalies (reported either by automated systems or by humans) receive appropriate attention and follow-through by intelligently engaging other skilled resources within the company, while outwardly communicating issue status to designated recipients.
At SoFi, you’ll become part of a new kind of finance company whose ambition is to help our members achieve financial independence and reach their goals. We aim to be at the center of our members’ financial lives, and to help every member get their money right. We created student loan refinancing, addressing the biggest financial challenge of a new generation through a modern approach to lending and personal finance. Next we expanded our products and services across loans, wealth management, and insurance. SoFi Money—a modern take on a checking or savings account--is our newest innovation and disruption to the financial services industry. SoFi has achieved significant growth, with ambitious plans ahead, but to continue this growth we need great talent. And that starts with you.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Participate in rotating on-call schedule for urgent incident response.
- Share responsibility for inbound queue of tickets.
- Drive postmortem analysis of the most critical issues with subject matter experts.
- Identify new instrumentation opportunities based in inbound reports.
- Adhere to SLOs centered around delivery of expeditious and effective resolution of assigned tickets.
- Collaborate with Engineers and product stakeholders in incident response scenarios.
- Ensure accountability and follow-through on pending & unresolved bugs or issue reports.
- Assess and assign priority to issues as they are reported based on mesured impact and scope.
- Create and improve playbooks for incidents and event responses.
- Work with Cloud Infrastructure Engineers and systems stakeholders to schedule and approve maintenance windows.
- Implement predefined types of changes to the automatic file transfer systems based on provided runbooks/playbooks.
- Build reports from available data generated by ticket workload and systems metrics.
- Inscruitible professional demeanor in high-pressure situations
- Demonstrated knowledge of troubleshooting methodologies
- Ability to correlate users’ or stakeholders’ concerns with a multitude of other metrics, events, alarms, and indicators.
- Ability to create detailed, actionable bug reports.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with ticketing systems (like Jira, ServiceNow, ZenDesk, Bugzilla)
- Discipline to consistently and independently follow defined standard operating procedures
- Basic understanding of IP Networking.
- Work and play well with others; DevOps at SoFi is a collaborative environment.
- Basic understanding of report generation, alerting/paging concepts.
- Familiarity with monitoring systems like Datadog, NewRelic, Catchpoint, OpsGenie is a plus.
- Willingness and aptitude to learn about new tools quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Team attitude: a willingness to roll up your sleeves, work with others and get stuff done.
- Enthusiasm for solving challenging problems.
- Strong sense of duty/responsibility.
- Cursory knowledge of Linux systems engineering a plus
- Associates Degree or any combination of work experience and education
Competitive salary packages and bonuses.
Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as disability benefits.
100% of medical, vision, and dental premiums paid by SoFI for employees and their dependents.
Generous vacation and holidays
401(k) and education on retirement planning.
Tuition reimbursement on approved programs, up to $5,250 a year.
Monthly contribution to help you pay off your student loans.
Employer paid lunch program and subsidized gym membership.
Fully stocked kitchen (snacks & drinks)