Senior Network Engineer
Senior Network Engineer is responsible for maintaining the company's computer network and providing technical support and guidance to other employees. Typical duties include collaborating with the VP of information on projects as assigned, implementing network systems, determining necessary hardware, and ensuring network security.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Deployment, integration and management of both next-gen and traditional stateful firewalls for access control, visibility and security
- Troubleshooting of network connectivity and performance problems and subsequent remediation
- Scheduled and emergency network maintenance (software/firmware upgrades, hardware replacement/RMAs, etc.)
- Network design/architecture of customer networks using best practices
- Ability to lead projects through all phases from initial planning through completion, including:
- Pre-sales responsibilities to translate project requirements into product and services recommendations (including all hardware/components, software and features/configurations to deploy)
- Development and documentation of project plans, detailing required tasks
- Execution of project plan with minimal impact to production networks/services
- Post-installation testing for validation/successful project completion
- Installation and management of other networking infrastructure such as wireless controllers/APs, VoIP systems, etc.
- Deployment and administration of network security features including IDS/IPS, anti-malware/AV policies, web-application firewalls, DDoS mitigation
- Deployment of SSL and IPsec VPNs
- Building automated scripts to detect and mitigate network issues.
- Documentation of project plans, network diagrams (physical and logical) and test plans
- Deployment and use of network monitoring/management solutions (such as Solarwinds)
- Deployment and utilization of network traffic analyzer/flow collector utilizing network flow data (e.g. NetFlow)
- 3+ years networking experience
- CCNP or equivalent, other certifications highly encouraged (e.g. specializations in data center, security or other platforms such as Juniper)
- Layer 2 networking experience deploying/administering spanning-tree, 802.1Q VLANs and link-aggregation
- Layer 3 networking experience (OSPF, BGP, MPLS and ECMP, PBR/PBF, multicast).
- Thorough understanding of protocols including ICMP, ARP, IP, TCP/UDP, DHCP, DNS, SNMP, NTP, RADIUS, 802.1X, HTTP, SSL/TLS, NFS, SMB/CIFS, LDAP, SIP, H.323
- Good attitude and ability to maintain an approachable and friendly demeanor when interacting with colleagues
- Works well under pressure and ability to remain level-headed and manage expectations when setbacks occur
- Willingness to be on call on a rotating basis.
- Willingness to participate in after-hours and weekend maintenance.
- Familiarity with cloud environments (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Networking in virtual environments (e.g. VMware, HyperV), knowledge of virtual systems
- VXLAN / OTV
- WAN acceleration / bandwidth optimization (QoS)
- Operating systems: experience with Linux, Windows and Mac OS X
- User management: experience or familiarity with Active Directory, LDAP or Open Directory systems to provision access controls and policies for systems and users.
- Scripting: any of Perl, Python, Bash, etc.
- Experience with SIEM systems/usage
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.