Biologist / Forensic Examiner
SNA International seeks a bright, detailed oriented and collaborative Biologist / Forensic Examiner with a strong work ethic to join our team to work together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
Qualified candidates will provide a wide range of forensic examination services in forensic disciplines, including DNA data-basing and shall also assist in instrument calibration and validation in compliance with laboratory specific and QA standards and policies.
The following list is representative of the types of activities and responsibilities anticipated to be performed, but are not limited to:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from contributors.
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for mitochondrial and / or nuclear DNA as appropriate; isolate and collect materials for analysis from appropriate areas of various evidentiary materials; prepare samples for instrumental analysis; and associate samples with other existing submissions (as appropriate).
- Make an initial determination of the types of samples suitable for analysis and select appropriate protocols for conducting the examination of materials.
- Conduct DNA examinations on items of evidence.
- Calibrate instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis.
- Use existing systems in place for evidence inventory, tracking and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Follow all QA / QC procedures, protocols and adhere to laboratory policies and procedures related to its accreditation and safety standards.
- Conduct DNA analysis and comparisons of profiles or sequences as appropriate.
- Author forensic reports to include all laboratory notes and supporting documentation.
- Provide all generated profiles or sequences in a format necessary for inclusion, storage, and searching of the appropriate DNA databases.
- Conduct technical and administrative reviews of all work.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
- Communication with contributors, as necessary.
- B.A. in Biology, Chemistry, or related field of biological science from an accredited university/college.
- Successfully completed coursework in the following subject areas: Nine (9) semester hours in the fields of biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology as well as coursework and / or training in statistics and/or population genetics as it applies to forensic DNA analysis.
- At least one (1) year as a DNA Examiner in an accredited forensic laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong organization skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities.
This position has an opening in Quantico, VA
Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug testing, and polygraph (if required).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.