***This is a contingent opportunity***
SNA International seeks a bright, collaborative Research Chemist with a strong work ethic to join our team. SNA International’s team works together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
The qualified, senior level, Research Chemist (RC) supports scientists and forensic examiners in research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E) of explosives and their material properties, in particular the explosive properties that affect the bulk and /or trace explosive detection of such materials. The RC perform operations and logistics duties as directed by the Senior Scientist and PM of the joint program titled “Physical, Chemical, and Detection Characteristics of Improvised Explosives”. Mastery in the areas of chemistry, physics, engineering, materials science, or mathematics, sufficient to enable the RC to direct complex studies that are focused on RDT&E problems pertinent to explosives characterization and detection is required.
The following list is representative of the types of activities and responsibilities anticipated to be performed, but are not limited to:
- Serves as the co-PM of the joint research program titled “Physical, Chemical, and Detection Characteristics of Improvised ”
- Reviews/authors interagency agreements (IAAs) and statements of work (SOWs).
- Produces rough order of magnitude (ROM) estimates for independent Government cost estimates (IGCEs).
- Reviews/authors monthly status reports (MSRs) and technical reports, and provides technical direction and oversight of explosives characterization RDT&E, including material properties testing (e.g., density, particle size, optical properties), physical and thermal hazards testing (e.g., impact, friction, electrostatic discharge, vacuum thermal stability, calorimetry, time-to-explosion, differential scanning calorimetry, thermogravimetric analysis), effects testing (e.g., detonation velocity, diameter effects, detonation calorimetry, air blast), and bulk/trace detection testing of interest (e.g., advanced technology x-ray, explosives trace detection, explosives detection systems, bottle liquid scanners, advanced imaging technology, computed tomography).
- Identifies the areas of need or inadequacy in current explosives characterization RDT&E protocols and proposes research study paths considered most
- Provides program planning and directs comprehensive testing of new methods and technologies in explosives characterization RDT&E to ensure their reliability and analytical limits under operational
- Recommends modifications or adaptations of current methods in explosives characterization RDT&E or recommends the development of entirely new methodologies and
- Serves as the only member of the EU that has experience in bulk and trace detection technologies of interest to DHS and
- Researches, develops, and author whitepapers, information papers, and policy documents, as required.
- Supports other activities, functions, or duties, as defined.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Materials Science, or Mathematics
- Possess experience in bulk and trace explosives detection technologies, advanced technology x-ray, explosives trace detection, explosives detection systems, bottle liquid scanners, advanced imaging technology, and computed
- Experience in explosives characterization RDT&E, such as but not limited to, material properties, physical and thermal hazards, and effects
- Experience authoring detailed, technical tasks relating to explosives characterization and bulk/trace explosives detection RDT&E.
- Experience providing program management of technical projects, in the areas of explosives characterization and bulk/trace explosives detection RDT&E.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
This position has opening in Quantico, VA
Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug screening, and a polygraph (if required).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.