SNA International, a world leader in forensics, biometrics and identity intelligence, is currently looking for a Senior Archaeologist.
The Senior Archaeologist will provide professional and scientific leadership to the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) personnel working on recovery missions on a project basis. This position will follow all DPAA policies and procedures to serve as a scientific-decision maker to create and iteratively execute an archaeological strategy to excavate a site and forensically process any evidence. Recovery sites (both foreign and domestic) may include remote, isolated, and/or austere environments.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- M.A./M.S. or Ph.D. degree in archaeology, anthropology, or closely related field.
- Leadership background required with at least one year of full-time professional experience at the supervisory level in the study of archaeological resources.
- Demonstrated extensive Phase III terrestrial experience in the recovery of human remains
- At least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archaeological research, administration or management.
- At least four months of supervisory field and analytic experience in general archaeology.
- Demonstrated ability to carry research to completion.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
- Follow DPAA policies and procedures to serve as scientific-decision maker to create and iteratively execute an archaeological strategy to excavate a site and forensically process any evidence.
- Perform to DPAA Laboratory standards to direct and supervise a team of military and civilian personnel in the execution of an established archaeological strategy.
- Comply with all DPAA requirements for reporting and coordinating all plans and results through all appropriate channels.
- Work directly and independently with clients.
- Follow all client policies and procedures.
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of best practices in forensic and archaeological laboratory analysis procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge in designing, directing and supervising all phases of archaeological projects to include Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III archaeological processes, mapping methods and techniques.
- Ability to design and implement analyses of a variety of materials associated with DPAA’s mandate to identify mission service members from past conflicts, including the Cold War, Vietnam War, Korean Conflict and World War II.
- Expert knowledge of artifact and material evidence analysis to include identifying circumstantial and direct evidence supporting casualty identifications.
- Expert knowledge of forensic laboratory best practices and accreditation standards.
- Ability to write, implement, and follow standard operating procedures.
- Basic knowledge of human remains identification procedures, and comprehensive knowledge of remote-sensing, mapping, probing, coring and test excavation methods/techniques.
- Expert in fundamental spatial concepts for assessing, visualizing and managing data using software, such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Surfer and GoogleEarthPro.
- Knowledge of the recovery and stabilization of human skeletal and dental remains and material evidence from archaeological and other contexts in the field and laboratory.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- A demonstrated history of initiative and achievement.
- A demonstrated history of working for clients and with client staff providing exceptional customer service.
- Experience working independently with minimal direction or supervision.
- Experience supporting and anticipating client needs and demonstrating problem-solving skills.
- Experience performing tasks under tight deadlines and managing shifting priorities.
Please submit a cover letter along with your CV. CVs without a cover letter will not be considered.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.