SNA International, the Global Leader in Forensics, Biometrics and Identity Intelligence, is currently looking for a Historian to support the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA), at the DPAA lab in Hawaii, by conducting historical research and writing, as well as assisting with related activities for DPAA’s Asia Pacific Directorate.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- 5 years of professional historical research experience (includes educational experience)
- Masters’ degree in History or related field with a strong understanding of History of Science and/or Second World War Military History with specialist knowledge of the Asia-Pacific Theater (PhD, or working toward PhD preferred)
- Strong written and oral communication skills evidenced by publication and conference presentation record
- Knowledge of relevant primary and secondary source material
- Experience with archival research
- Detailed oriented
- Able to work well independently as well as in a team environment
- Perform complex historical research into casualty resolution and unidentified remains interred in U.S. cemeteries
- Assignments include, but are not limited to: historical reports, documentary research, oral histories, secondary source readings, geographically bounded studies, cemetery analyses, case narratives, reports of findings, and briefings to Agency leadership.
- Occasionally travel nationally for Family Member Updates (FMUs) and occasionally internationally for field investigations or other activities as required by Agency leadership
- Protect organization by keeping information confidential
- Follow all client policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess a broad knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of historical research and analysis as gained through graduate education in history and relevant job experience
- Ability to conduct research on a diverse array of cases with scattered and scant source material
- Ability to apply flexible approaches and versatility to conducting research
- Knowledge of professional writing styles based on experience
- Exceptional abilities in oral and written communication, and the ability to provide written products quickly and in formats tailored for varied audiences
- Computer proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- A demonstrated history of initiative and achievement
- A demonstrated history of working independently with client staff
- Experience working independently with minimal direction or supervision
- Experience supporting and anticipating client needs and demonstrating problem-solving skills
- Experience performing tasks under tight deadlines and managing shifting priorities
Interested Foreign Nationals:
Foreign Nationals may be considered for this position. All foreign nationals must be able to demonstrate that they have lived in the United States for 3 of the past 5 years and have a US Social Security Number. These requirements must be met in order to move forward with the application process.
NOTE: This requisition is open year-round. A position may not be available at the time an application is submitted and may not become available for weeks to months after applying.
Please submit a cover letter along with your CV. CVs without a cover letter will not be considered.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.