Technical Software Architect
SNA International is seeking a motivated and dynamic Technical Software Architect to lead the design and implementation of an information sharing solution involving several DOD scientific agencies using AWS (preferred/most likely) or a similar cloud platform. You will lead this effort. The contract also includes part-time positions such as Senior Technical Architects, Senior and Mid-Level Forensic Scientists, Data Scientist, and Subject Matter Experts for IT Security and Privacy. As the leader, you will be responsible for including these resources, as necessary, to meet project goals. You will also be the primary interface to government scientists and technologists.
In this hands-on position, you will be leading the collaboration with government scientists and technologists to:
- Develop a business/technical ConOps for data sharing for a specific use case involving up to five agencies that are currently exchanging files via email
- Brief the ConOps to stakeholders to obtain buy-in; these briefings will include both business and technology aspects of the ConOps
- Work with stakeholders to identify their concerns and help develop mitigations, including in the areas of IT security and Personally Identifying Information (PII)
- Implement a data sharing site on AWS that replaces the current process of emailing files; initially replace emails with file sharing
- Work with IT security SMEs to obtain Authority to Operate (ATO) and/or Interim Authority to Operate (IATO)
- Work with stakeholders to create a more sophisticated interface (ideally RESTful webservices)
The Technical Software Architect:
- Effectively solicits and communicates business and technical requirements with stakeholders, both verbally and in writing.
- Understands both business and technical requirements and can translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Designs and implements solutions with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or other cloud platforms used by the government.
- Designs and implements message-based software architecture using web services, REST, etc.
- Has a working knowledge of government IT security, including Authority to Operate (ATO) and Interim Authority to Operate (IATO); and knows when and how to engage IT security SMEs to ensure compliance.
- Has a working knowledge of government IT privacy requirements, including Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA); and knows when and how to engage privacy SMEs to ensure compliance.
- Evaluates existing design architecture to include hardware, software, and communications to support the overall enterprise requirements as well as provide for present and future cross-functional requirements and interfaces.
- Serves as the central point of contact between the design and implementation engineers and architects, while maintaining the fundamental design goals and users needs.
- Ensures that systems are developed in a robust architecture that ensures system availability as well as follows policy mandates for disaster recovery (DR) and continuity of operations (COOP).
- Ensures that architectures are compliant with government enterprise architecture and applicable reference models.
- Develops design drawings, prototypes and design documents to keep users and engineers up to date with the intended overall system design and ensure user buy in as the system evolves.
- Ensures that all system design documents, drawings and as-built architecture work products are kept up to date.
- Evaluates analytical and systematic problems of workflows, organization, and planning and develop appropriate corrective actions.
- Education and relevant experience in software that meets one of the following:
- Bachelors Degree with 6 years
- Masters Degree with 5 years
- Experience designing and/or building solutions using AWS or other commercial/government cloud platforms.
- Experience designing and/or building web services.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders to identify their requirements and concerns, and then developing technical solutions that satisfy stakeholder needs.
- General understanding of government IT security and privacy requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.