Senior Database Reliability Engineer
We’re revolutionizing the way humanity eats, and there’s a lot of room for optimization and growth. That’s where you come in. Your ingenuity will help us continue to drive innovation, making an impact on the reliability, performance, and scalability of Skip’s industry-leading technology.
- Design and build great software
- Move fast with confidence
- Secure, stable, scalable, fast and reliable platform
- Trust, control, and transparency
- Will become a trusted technical authority and specialist in one or more technical areas of your team. You’ll be someone the rest of the team and your Technology Manager can turn to for engineering advice and guidance.
- Collaborate with other product development teams and use their feedback as a basis for improvements.
- Embrace and champion best practices for database safety and performance
- Ensure database systems are running cost-effectively
- Automate every aspect of datastore management that can be automated
- Define and meet service level objectives for services in your care
- Plan and execute system upgrades with little to no downtime
- Collaborate with a wide variety of talented engineers to help them build reliable and scalable services
- Research and deploy best-in-class database technology as Just Eat’s needs change
- 5+ years experience managing production databases
- Amazon Web Services or similar e.g Azure, Google Cloud
- Strong understanding of database products such as MySQL, SQL Server, DynamoDB, RDS, other NoSQL
- Experience working in a Continuous Delivery cycle
- Working in microservices architecture
- The ability to orchestrate and automate complex administrative tasks
- Familiarity with distributed systems
- Proficiency in Linux command line
- Proficiency in troubleshooting Windows hosts
- Strong interest and ability to analyze systems for scalability and reliability
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Good team communication skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently
- A passion for providing excellent service to developers and external customers
As a senior database reliability engineer at SKIP, you will support a suite of data persistence systems, including MySQL/MariaDB, SQL Server, NoSQL, and cloud services such as Amazon RDS. You are passionate about resilient systems and are pragmatic about database engineering. You’ll ultimately support these systems in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation shared with other DREs and site reliability engineers. Over time, you’ll find ways to automate mundane tasks and focus on building the future.
- Relentlessly protect site availability
- Reduce the time, effort, and cost to ship database code safely
- Develop and improve internal deployment and orchestration tools
- Develop and experiment with new scalability solutions
- Create and enhance automation systems for the management of databases
- Provide In-depth troubleshooting and bug fixing as you work with other DRE's, SRE’s and software developers
- Provide DBA guidance and collaborate with commercially focused software developers to achieve business goals.
- Innovate to stay ahead
- Be a positive influence on the SKIP culture
Picture this: you, dressed in your fave casual attire, amongst a team of friendly and passionate colleagues. You feel pride knowing your input and uniqueness is not only embraced, but makes an impact on a major Canadian company, and its satisfied customers. As the company grows, so do you — you meet and surpass new challenges every day.
Those mentioned above are just a taste of what it’s like to work at one of Canada’s leading tech companies. If you’re hungry for opportunity, growth, and something meaningful in a dynamic, yet casual environment, we’d love to hear from you.
Note: All employees will be asked to sign a Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information in order to complete a background check. Job offers will be conditional upon results that the Company determines to be satisfactory.