Hardware Board Design Engineer
Seeking a self-motivated, team-oriented board design engineer to develop SK HMS’s next generation Solid State Drive (SSD) products. This position requires experience in hardware architecture, design, signal and power design. A successful candidate will have a good knowledge of state of the art memory device technologies, interfaces such as SATA, PCIe Gen 3&4, ONFI and implementation techniques required for high-speed interfaces. In addition, this candidate will have a good working knowledge of power supply designs. Experience with PCB design tools (Cadence/Mentor PCB design and analysis). Expertise in design for optimum signal and power integrity as well as hands-on lab measurements experience is a must. Candidate should have a thorough understanding of hardware development methodologies to achieve a first pass design success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface in cross functional teams to ensure the design meets all firmware, diagnostic and system level requirements.
- Participate in architecture definition and lead designing of SSD products. Complete ownership of SSD hardware through the product life cycle.
- Perform detailed verification of the SSD design in lab to ascertain the design margins.
- Document and communicate results with cross functional counterparts.
- Debug design issues and capture 8D reports.
- Experience in designing high volume and cost sensitive products (keeping manufacturability challenges in mind)
- PCB back-end process: defining stack-up and via technologies, part placement, setting design constraints
- Works proactively with cross functional team members during design, verification as well as on RMAs
- In addition to design, a successful candidate will mentor and provide technical guidance to other hardware team members
- Self-motivated. Desire to take on challenges. Result-driven and details oriented.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must.
- Strong in transmission line fundamentals. Understand the fundamentals of time-domain vs. frequency-domain.
- In depth knowledge in circuit designs, power design, as well as semiconductor design.
- Good PCB design experience on high speed signals routing guideline and review design for EMI/ESD protection.
- Design for signal/power integrity, including SERDES and interconnect.
- Analog design using simulation e.g. SPICE (or equivalent).
- Practical experience with design/measurement tools:
- Cadence Sigrity, Allegro Power-Aware SI, Mentor Graphics HyperLynx (will be a plus)
- High end real time/sampling scopes & BERTs
- PCIe/SATA Compliance Tests
- BS in Electrical Engineering required; MS in Electrical Engineering is a plus
- 0~2 years of relevant design experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent problem solving skills