TAX DIRECTOR - REMOTE/VIRTUAL ROLE
Do you want to work for a rapidly growing, fast-paced global professional services firm with countless opportunities for progression?
At Sikich, we believe in empowering our employees.
Sikich LLP www.sikich.com is a global company specializing in technology enabled-professional services. With employees across the nation, Sikich draws on a diverse portfolio of technology solutions to deliver transformative digital strategies and ranks as one of the largest CPA firms in the United States. Our dynamic environment attracts top-notch employees who enjoy being at the cutting edge and seeing every day how their work makes a difference.
Watch this video to hear what people have to say about Sikich.
Our tax professionals are highly motivated self-starters with a passion for education and growth. With technical expertise in tax compliance, regulations and the ever-changing tax environment, our professionals assist clients in educating and advising them on what matters to their business. Our team members are nimble and have experience working with clients of varying sizes within many industries. Sikich tax professionals are also equipped with digital solutions that enable them to be advisors and consultative in their role at Sikich. Additionally, our tax department shares projects and resources across offices through our cloud-based solutions that allow us to collaborate globally.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- You will be the lead contact on client assignments for Northern Illinois-based tax compliance & consulting engagements
- Leadership of the Naperville-based tax team, planning, project management, staff utilization, & overall engagement supervision
- Provide industry expertise to clientele & Sikich staff
Technical Tax Expertise
- Expertise in managing tax compliance engagements
- Ability to review, supervise, & enhance the process & preparation of complicated & complex corporate, partnership, & personal income tax returns
- Professionally represent the Firm in professional & service organizations that will further demonstrate technical expertise
- Experience with tax aspects of business transaction issues, including shareholder transactions, M&A, executive compensation, leveraged buyouts, cost segregation, R&D tax credits, accounting method changes, tax reform act, partnership operating agreement consulting, etc.
- Ability to represent clientele before the IRS & state tax authorities
- Responsible for practice development including lead generation
- Ability to develop a referral base. Must be able to identify targets & develop a plan to convert targets to clients
- Interest & capability to initiate cross-selling efforts
- Develop the Firm’s reputation through conducting seminars, speeches, & similar activities
- Integrate & leverage firm-wide thought leadership efforts in developing the market for tax services
- Ability to service middle-market clients & must be flexible to work with clients of varying sizes
- Successfully manage engagements, groups, & teams of all sizes
- Maintain steady contact with clients by developing executive level relationships
- Deal directly with client attorneys, bankers, & other advisors.
- Follow progress of work during an engagement, from initial understanding with client through knowledge of client’s impression of the conduct of the engagement
- Flawless execution of managing & overseeing multiple engagements at the same time
- Promotion of creative ideas to enhance client service offerings proactively, during, & immediately following completion of engagements
- Be familiar with qualifications of all staff members, review staff assignments, & assist in recruiting, developing, training & mentoring professional staff
- Participate in performance review processes & related efforts to grow & develop staff. Lead effort of identifying future tax leaders.
- Proactive participation in recruiting key industry professionals & top talent
- Communicate Firm policies & technical information through individual or group meetings
- Communicate & reinforce Firm culture & play a key role in the enhancement of the team environment
- Demonstrate an open door philosophy to help with client or other firm matters, while demonstrating fair & consistent application to professionals in employee relations matters
Key Leadership Traits
- Prior leadership in a tax role, preferably in another public accounting firm
- Significant track record of mentoring & coaching accounting & tax professionals
- The ability to articulate tax planning opportunities & recommendations to clientele
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiastic & cooperative partnership spirit
- BA/BS degree in Accounting
- CPA certification with active CPA standing
- 10+ years' Public Accounting practice experience with large local, regional, or national public accounting firm
- 10+ years' engagement management experience
- MST (or willingness to obtain)
- Experience in managing engagement budgets, expenses, & performance management
- Ability to build rapport with firms partners & management.
- Must possess elite leadership skills
- Outstanding communication & interpersonal skills, including ability to collaborate, influence, negotiate; resolve conflicts, & effectively coach employees, managers, & executives
- Experience and ability to function using a tax software such as ProSystems, CCH, RIA and/or Engagement Manager is essential
Sikich LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V