LEGAL EXECUTIVE / PARALEGAL
LEGAL & BUSINESS AFFAIRS TEAM
BASED AT SEGA HQ IN BRENTFORD
REPORTING TO SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL
A BIT ABOUT SEGA
SEGA is one of the leading interactive entertainment companies in the world, with our European HQ based in West London and our seven development studios spanning the UK, Bulgaria, France and Canada. Known for quality and creativity above all else, our studios include Sports Interactive, Hardlight, Amplitude Studios, Two Point Studios, The Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment. We work at the cutting edge of technology with some great IPs such as Football Manager, Total War, Two Point Hospital, Endless series, and our latest new FPS Hyenas.
At the heart of SEGA is our publishing team based in London, where we help the studios bring their creative vision to life. Here we have a hardworking bunch of people spanning Tech, Sales, Marketing, Finance, QA and more. Together, we drive the continued success and evolution of our Western business through living our company values of always collaborating, being entrepreneurial in spirit, having a winning mentality and focusing on uncompromising quality.
We believe that making the best games relies on having the best people, so we make sure that we look after ours. Check out our Careers website to find out why we are a workplace you’ll never want to leave!
Sega’s business continues to grow at pace, and we are seeking a legal executive / paralegal that is proactive, creative, adaptable, and collaborative to join our Legal and Business Affairs Team. Our team sits within SEGA Europe’s central publishing function. We support the publishing business and development studios across all disciplines within the business, including product development, marketing, sales, commercial publishing, data privacy and compliance. We also regularly interact and co-operate with the Legal departments at SEGA of America and SEGA of Japan on global issues affecting SEGA. The work is varied, and the team’s emphasis is focussed on adding value to the business.
- Working closely with Sega’s developers, producers, marketing, merchandising and distribution teams;
- Negotiating drafting and advising on numerous types of agreements, including;
- Contributor “talent” agreements for voice-over, artists, music etc;
- Reviewing middleware licences;
- IP Licensing agreements for the use of third party IPRs;
- Publishing and First Party platform agreements;
- Distribution agreements;
- Marketing/sponsorship/influencer agreements;
- Development agreements;
- Competition terms and conditions.
- Supporting our compliance team on Data Protection and privacy matters;
- Advising the creative and marketing teams on innovative marketing campaigns on our digital channels;
- Researching legal issues to evaluate the impact the changing legal landscape has to Sega’s business (e.g., online harms legislation, loot boxes, etc.);
- Reviewing game content to provide clearance for any copyright, trademark, publicity and other issues;
- Supporting the business in the mitigation of litigation risk to the business and the management of disputes;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Legal Executive / Paralegal with around 2 years’ experience. Commercial experience within video game, media entertainment, technology, and/or FMCG industries is desirable.
- Ability to negotiate and draft a broad range of commercial agreements (including software licensing, distribution, contractor agreements, software development and publishing agreements) and to provide advice as well as practical and commercial solutions for the business.
- Clear and concise communicator both written and verbally.
- Confident and professional with the ability to build excellent working relationships and collaborate with a wide range of teams.
- Ability to prioritise and manage a varied workload unsupervised and deliver high quality work to deadlines.