Principal Designer – HYENAS (FPS)
Creative Assembly is looking for a Principal Designer to join our FPS team to work on HYENAS, our exciting new shooter. This role will be based at one of our studios in Horsham, West Sussex.
In this role, you will be able to make a real impact in our game by delivering high quality systems and gameplay. To do so, you will be collaborating and creating with our talented and passionate team, developing an innovative brand-new FPS.
We are looking for a designer with drive that will be able to own features.
As Principal Designer on this new and exciting project, you will own the delivery of features and systems that will allow us to deliver a great player experience, and establish the game, for long term growth and iteration.
You will contribute to a multi-discipline team, assuming the ownership of the feature to deliver world class experience in an innovative multiplayer FPS.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Be the owner of a feature or area of the game, supported by a multidisciplinary team
- Continuously look to improve gameplay, processes, and techniques on the project
- Communicate and collaborate closely with the project's creative leaders to effectively deliver on the vision of the game
- Oversee work within your area, give feedback, set goals, and career development pathways
- Share regular updates with the varying development disciplines across team highlighting when key achievements are identified and raise any issues.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience working on AI, Systems, or Modes in a multiplayer game.
- Experience in feature ownership role – coordinating multidisciplinary work to deliver features or content.
- Strong Design skills: understanding key design process and work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce documentation and design.
- Demonstrated ability to give effective critiques and take feedback for improvement.
- Experience of using UE4 in development.
- Leadership skills in leading and mentoring designers.
- Experience in AAA game development in a senior position.
- Experience in Live game environment.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.