Lead Artist - Sonic Mobile
Role Overview - Lead Artist - Sonic Mobile
We are looking for a Lead Artist to take art ownership for our successful live Sonic Mobile titles – Sonic Forces: Speed Battle, Sonic Dash, and Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom.
You could be an Art Lead with a proven track record or a Senior Artist wanting to take on more responsibility or an Art Outsource manager wanting to get more hands-on – either way, this is a great opportunity to join our talented team of artists working on our much-loved Sonic IPs!
This is a key role that will get you deep within most areas of the game’s art and production. We’re looking for someone who has knowledge and confidence in a wide range of game art skills and enjoys the development and evolution of live games.
- Help maintain and develop the games’ artistic style and visual quality.
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example, promoting successful teamwork, and giving feedback and direction where needed.
- Work with the producer and art director to schedule and coordinate the artists on the Sonic Mobile games.
- Help improve, maintain, and document art pipelines and style guides for the projects.
- Take ownership of the milestone planning, day-to-day feedback communications, and final quality of deliverables.
- Create storyboards, concepts, and mockups to help communicate with the team and stakeholders any new features and visuals.
- Be able to create high-quality art for the games, single-handedly and with the team – ranging from new environments, characters, visual effects, and animations.
- Help support the marketing and live ops teams with marketing material, app icons, screenshots, and video trailers.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication skills, collaborator, and mentor.
- Technical ability and familiarity with Unity. Getting art in, setting up, building assets & prefabs, debugging, and improving performance.
- Excellent 2D and 3D skills - 3D modeling, texturing, and lighting.
- Proficient with industry tools like 3DS Max, Maya and Photoshop, with an ability to learn new tools.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- 5 years’ experience creating artwork for games
- An interest and understanding of UI art and Graphic design.
- Mobile-centric attitude towards art development including theme and demographic testing and developing a serviceable title for years to come.
- Player-focused approach – knows what makes a game fun.
- An interest in Sonic, SEGA, and stylised games and art.
Why work at HARDlight?
- You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes ULEV car salary sacrifice, life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme
- We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making HARDlight the best it can be
- For gaming buffs, we offer free SEGA games on Steam and a home technology scheme
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership and ride-to-work scheme. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to help work fit around you
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team, developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue
- Based in the ‘Heart of England' in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London & Birmingham
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
The role will initially be remote, as we have not returned to the office yet. The expectation is that when we do return to the office, we will be taking a hybrid working approach and you will be expected to work 3 days in the office with the option of 2 days out of the office.