Network Field Engineer
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Network Field Engineer
Data Center Operations & Network Supervisor
Sumterville – 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non Represented/Non Exempt
Thursday, 04/19/18 until filled
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving nearly 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position has responsibility to install, troubleshoot, support and maintain in-house voice, data and video equipment and microwave, satellite and cellular systems. This includes configuring, diagnosing, repairing, upgrading and optimizing all telephone systems and services; voicemail and video conferencing environments; and provide technical assistance to end-users.
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in Information Technology, Telecommunications Technology or Networking Certification such as CCNA in routing and switching or voice.
- Minimum four years working technical knowledge in a telecommunications support position performing installation, implementation, troubleshooting and maintenance of telecommunications equipment/systems including T-1’s, VOIP systems, Voicemail, Microwave, satellite, wireless networking and fiber maintenance.
Note: Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Hands-on experience designing, installing and troubleshooting cabling and wiring systems; working knowledge of current network protocols including TCP/IP, operating systems and standards; ability to operate power and hand tools, components, and peripherals.
- Knowledge and skill in testing, installation, programming, and maintenance of all peripheral telecommunications equipment and systems which include VOIP, voicemail, call center applications, two-way radios, security cameras, fiber maintenance, wireless networking, Point-to-Point and Point-to-Multi Point Microwave Radio systems.
- Installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of enterprise UPS units, DC rectifiers, DC inverters and batteries and AC transfer switches.
- Proficiency in the operation of personal computers, MS Office products and communication software programs; installation, operation and support services of PC software including MS Windows and client software.
- Ability to utilize and interpret results from multiple types of communication testing equipment including spectrum analyzers, fiber optic power meters, OTDR, radio inference detection devices, T1 and analog tone testers.
- Excellent customer service orientation and effective interpersonal and communications skills including written, verbal and listening; excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to work independently and productively and results oriented in order to complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Business communication skills with ability to read, analyze and interpret job related business periodicals and technical manuals; ability to write/produce reports, business correspondence and assist in the preparation of procedure manuals.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Skills Verification: The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions, and technical skills exercise(s).
- Valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of cooperative vehicles; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by the Cooperative.
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Install and support telecommunications, infrastructure and its associated software, including VOIP call center management systems, voice mail, interactive voice response (IVR), call recording and video conferencing systems.
- Setup and configuration of phone extensions, ACD groups, Voicemail and IVR
- Setup and maintenance of telephone and voicemail services
- Configure, test, maintain, monitor and troubleshoot end user telecommunications hardware, telephony devices and voice/data hardware products.
- Prioritize and respond to requests regarding equipment and/or connectivity problems.
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANS and wireless networks, including servers, routers, switches, UPSs, power supplies, fuse panels and fiber termination panel and other hardware for corporate and remote locations.
- Configure networks to ensure smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Perform network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common network problems.
- Ensure network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines and other network connected devices.
- Accurately document instances of software or hardware failure, repair, installation and removal and provide to supervisor as directed.
- Install, inspect, test and maintain telephone lines, circuits, trunks and associated wiring and cabling.
- Generate telecommunications usage and inventory reports as directed.
- Program, troubleshoot, and maintain two-way radio communication systems, microwave systems and satellite communication systems.
- Perform maintenance and repair of substation SCADA radios and support substation relay personnel on SCADA RTU’s.
- Install and maintain security surveillance systems includes cameras and digital video recorders
- Monitor and identify capacity and performance issues for telecommunications traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of telecommunications systems.
- Provide training and support to end users and staff on related equipment operation.
- Conduct testing and develop disaster recovery plans to detect faults, minimize malfunctions and backup systems.
- Assist in developing, implementing and maintaining policies, procedures and training plans as they apply to telecommunication systems, maintenance and usage.
- Maintain a current knowledge of emerging products, services, protocols and standards in support of telecommunications equipment procurement and development efforts.
- Where necessary, liaise with equipment vendors during installations and hardware performance issues.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- General office environment with moderate field exposure. Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Availability to respond to Call-Outs; work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to work irregular hours and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment with moderate field exposure and operation of a cooperative vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and risk of electrical shock. The employee may be required to work from ladders and other elevating devices and in confined spaces.
SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.