System Control Coordinator
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
System Control Coordinator
Reliability & Operations
System Operations Manager
330 S US HWY, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non Represented – Non Exempt
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This is a technical and high stress position and is responsible for the safe and reliable operation of SECO Energy’s electrical system that includes the transmission, substation and distribution infrastructure. This position works in emergency and crisis situations where a high level of independent thinking and sound judgment is required to prioritize work tasks and assign the tasks to field personnel according to their determined priority. In every situation safety and following safe utility practices is of paramount importance and the first consideration. This position also interacts with all levels of internal management and employees as well as external first responders and the general public. This interaction includes taking and communicating information, providing updates and mobilizing field employees.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
2 Year / Associate Degree
electrical power or related discipline
Four years progressive experience in distribution power system control or field experience in a distribution electrical power related industry.
Proficient in the use of personal computers and knowledgeable in MS Office products including Outlook and Word. If not proficient, the candidate must be able to become proficient in these products within 3-months of hiring.
Proficient in switching and tagging principles and methodology.
Experience with a distribution electric utility.
Skilled in the use of a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA) and an outage management system (PowerOn). If not skilled in these areas, the candidate must demonstrate proficiency within 3-months of hiring.
Education and/or Experience Notes
The equivalent of six (6) years of experience in construction, maintenance, and restoration for an electric utility with a high school diploma or GED may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- This position is required to work shift work ranging from 8-hour shifts to 12-hour shifts. In severe emergencies, this position may be required to work 16-hour shifts. Shifts can be scheduled for any 8-hour, 10-hour or 12-hour shift 7-days per week. Holiday work is also required. A valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of a company vehicle; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by SECO Energy.
- Works rotating shifts on a 24 hour, 7 day basis, including holidays.
- Irregular hours in evenings and on weekends are possible during peak business times and during storm season.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
Living Requirement ☒Yes ☐ No
Employees in this classification must live within a one-hour driving distance to their assigned reporting location. The assigned reporting location for this position will be the Corporate office located at 330 S. Hwy 301 in Sumterville, FL. However, the reporting location is subject to change based on the needs of the Cooperative.
Driving Requirements ☐ Yes ☒ No
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of mathematics and electricity and their application to SECO’s electrical transmission and distribution system operation, system configuration, protective relaying, troubleshooting and switching and tagging procedures. Must have the ability to use this knowledge to adapt to SECO’s troubleshooting processes, switching and tagging procedures and to direct the work activities of others.
- Possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of the National Electric Safety Code.
- Proficient in the use of two-way radio equipment and radio protocols in order to effectively, clearly and concisely provide verbal instructions to field and office personnel.
- Proficiency in the operation of personal computers and MS Office products that include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must demonstrate the aptitude to use a personal computer to perform daily SCC functions that include the use of SCADA, Load Control Operations, GIS, outage management, Call Out database, and customer information systems.
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills. This includes being able to speak clearly and concisely, be an active listener, question for understanding and clarification, and being able to effectively interact with others by using tact and good judgment when speaking with all levels of management, employees, customers, members of the media, vendors, and the general public.
- Skilled in business and conversation writing. Must be able to craft a memorandum, email and / or written correspondence that is appropriate for internal and external communications. This includes the ability to write various reports to communicate within and outside the department.
- Must be able to multitask and demonstrate flexibility especially in high volume outage and emergency situations and remain calm, professional and focused. This requires fast thinking, the use of sound reasoning skills, experience, and adherence to standardized processes and procedures to make the safest and best decisions in emergency, crisis and high volume outage situations.
- Demonstrates and models superior customer service focus. This position never loses sight that they are performing their tasks and assignments to exceed the expectations of our customers and members. They must treat every outage and customer interaction as if the problem or outage was impacting them on a personal level at their home.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and confidential information (in accordance with established Board Policies and procedures).
- Demonstrate a teamwork attitude by actively looking for opportunities to assist other SCCs in high volume outage situations or system emergencies.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification: The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
This position has functional supervisory responsibility for outside personnel that are working within the control boundaries / limits of System Control Coordinator (SCC) on the electrical system. This includes employees and contractors working inside switching clearance boundaries as well as those working where the electrical system is within the control and authority of the SCC. All contractors and employees either working in a direct or indirect relationship with the SCC outside normal working hours are under their supervisory authority. This includes call center associates working after hours, warehouse personnel, fleet mechanics, etc. This position will monitor the progress of work assigned to employees under their control and notify the employee’s full-time supervisor or service supervisor of any issues, including recommendations for commendation or disciplinary action.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment with extensive sedentary work. The employee may be required to climb a ladder to make changes to the electrical diagram wall board. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.