Manager of Consumer Billing and Accounting
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Manager of Consumer Billing and Accounting
Financial & Administrative Services
Chief Financial Officer
Headquarter - 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
No Represented - Exempt
Thursday, 11/01/2018 until filled
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position directs the daily operations of the consumer accounting function, primarily managing the billing, meter reading/revenue recovery activities; oversees the Cooperative’s customer information system and utilities records management; responsible for the timely monthly energy billing; coordinates registration activities for all District and Annual Meetings; and assists with the preparation of the annual revenue budget projections.
This position has responsibility for the direction, coordination and evaluation of employees in the consumer accounting and meter reading unit. This person is expected to perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Accounting or closely related major.
- Eight years related work experience in a progressively responsible position that includes utility accounting, accounts receivable, billing, collections and budget administration.
- Minimum of three years directing the work of others.
- Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Note: Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures; thorough working knowledge of consumer accounting and accounts receivable systems, budgeting and forecasting, Thorough understanding of the state of Florida Public Service Commission energy rate regulations.
- Knowledge of computerized utility billing systems including rate composition and calculations; ability to implement and test modifications including rates, taxes, etc.; knowledge of electronic meter reading equipment and automated meter reading devices. Working knowledge of the cost of service and retail rate design studies is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, NISC billing and consumer accounting systems; ability to acquire skills in the use of applicable corporate accounting and customer information systems.
- Effective leadership skills with ability to make and implement sound decisions; demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills and time management; detail oriented; analytical and process management skills; demonstrated change management aptitude and ability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with government agencies, management, employees, vendors, subcontractors and others; ability to make presentations, prepare reports, business correspondence, procedures and training manuals.
- Ability to acquire general knowledge of an electrical distribution cooperative and RUS requirements as pertains to the position; membership and registration procedures for district and annual meetings.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to manage multiple priorities calmly and effectively in all situations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions, and technical skills exercise(s).
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Directs all consumer accounting activities including billing, collections and operation of the customer information system.
- Ensures the timely and accurate processing of meter reading activities for the timely processing of customer utility bills
- Address, document and resolve customer issues in a timely manner.
- Oversees the customer information filing system to provide accurate and efficient storage and retrieval of customer records, including imaging and/or archiving of utility documents; ensures compliance with retention guidelines and timeframes pertaining to utility documents.
- Oversee operations of computerized utility billing system; sets up and maintains accounts receivable codes, revenue codes; contacts software vendor regarding program change requests, errors, etc.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures relating to billing, accounts receivable and meter reading.
- Produces month end revenue reports and KWH usage for use in reporting financial condition, cost of service studies and budget development.
- Performs research, development and budgetary/financial planning rate and revenue studies.
- Prepares and analyzes statistical reports related to development of new billing procedures and meter reading functions; reviews and corrects updated reports and submits recommendations to management for review.
- Prepares the annual consumer accounting budget and monitors expenditures.
- Directs the District and Annual Meeting registration activities and preparation of reports, as needed.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; trends and requirements, technology and information that may affect the consumer accounting unit, the cooperative or electric utilities in general.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Occasional business travel may be required.
- Ability to work irregular hours and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment. Occasional business travel may be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Attend and actively participate in all Job Briefings and Safety Meetings as required.
- Promotes safe work practices
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and comply with all applicable SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Use all required safety protective equipment and utilize all SECO Energy equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Be alert to any safety hazards involving SECO Energy equipment and notify the appropriate personnel immediately.
- Attend and actively participate in training as scheduled.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence and to the Corporate Vision.
- Maintain and encourage open, honest communication with superiors and co-workers.
- Exhibit a commitment to customer focused service.
- Exhibit integrity and honesty in all actions.
- Exhibit a firm commitment to safety.
- Maintain a team player focused cooperative style.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
All Internal and External applicants must apply On-Line only as follows:
INTERNAL (Employees Only)
From SECONet (employee Intranet)
click Employee Bulletin Board, Jobs/Career.
Then, click the link: “EMPLOYEES may apply online here”.
EXTERNAL applicants apply On-Line Only: At a Career Source office or from any computer with Internet access on SECO’s Careers Web Site: http://www.secoenergy.com
SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.