INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Financial & Administrative Services
Headquarter: 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville, FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non Represented/ Non Exempt
Friday, 09/14/18 until filled
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants. Please refer to Board Policy # 602 for Internal Recruitment guidelines available in SECONet: http://srv-SECOnet/intranet/includes/secure_file.cfm?ID=368&menuID=7
General Purpose of Job
This position will share responsibility for accounts payable and receivable to support the daily accounting activities of the Cooperative, its month-end process, year-end audit process and various special projects; general ledger transactions and reports, balancing, reconciliations; depreciation, tax reports, cash receipts and disbursements, fixed assets and asset management.
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related discipline, or equivalent training and experience.
- Three plus years’ experience with the following: accounts payable and accounts receivable experience; general ledger accounting; cost accounting principles, balancing and reconciling accounts.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting.
- Previous electric utility accounting experience or related industry.
- Completion of RUS Borrower Accounting course within 3 years of date of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, concepts and practices; accounting processes and improvement techniques and tools; application of automated systems for financial reporting and accounting purposes; and sales tax accrual.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products with efficiency in Word and advanced knowledge in Excel; ability to acquire skills and use of applicable corporate Cost and General Accounting computer systems.
- Excellent math skills and ability to prepare spreadsheets. Proficiency with a 10-key calculator required.
- Demonstrated listening, verbal and written communication skills to accurately prepare all types of office correspondence, design and produce reports; effective planning and organizational skills with excellent documentation and detail orientation; ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines and work independently and in a team environment. Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with managers, employees, vendors, subcontractors, government agencies and others; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Ability to interpret financial statements and use web-based software for accounting and tax reporting applications.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions, and technical skills exercise(s).
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Process Accounts Payable invoices; retrieve and print A/P invoices from vendor websites and SECOAP email. Maintain data entry for invoices, journal entries, cash sheets. Print checks and match supporting documentation.
- Reconciliation of bank accounts, accounts payable and other related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis. Scan all accounts payable documents for record retention.
- Prepare daily cash activity worksheets for disbursement and line of credit analysis. This includes auditing cash register journal entry, daily bank reports, and updating Cash worksheets.
- Prepare budget schedules for revenues, depreciation, and plant additions (general and distribution).
- Prepare, analyze, and distribute monthly budget reports and financial information for all departments.
- Maintain applicable work sheets for the annual audit, including prepays, insurance distributions, and subsidiary ledgers; assist with preparation of audit schedules and respond to inquiries from external auditors, as directed.
- Prepare and file all federal, state and local sales tax reports, property tax return and payments.
- Research and develop taxable property value of corporate property, plant and equipment.
- Research and reconcile property spreadsheets with general ledger for preparing the tax return.
- Maintain, balance and/or reconcile:
- Capital Credits database and processing of estate/general retirement payments or analyzing Capital Credit forms and processing data entry of heirs for estate/general retirement assignment and any other necessary processes.
- Materials in warehouse inventory to NISC software system.
- General Plant/Depreciation System by assigning plant numbers, item retirement, reconciling to GL and performing monthly depreciation process.
- Unclaimed property database, related GL accounts, process Credit Balance refunds and check reissue requests.
- Report and remit unclaimed property in accordance with State statutes
- Verify Work Orders submitted for closing to ensure proper coding and accuracy of materials against database; prepare reports to monitor closing time frame and PSC (Public Service Commission) inspection audits. Update standard cost for construction units quarterly. Develop new CPRs (Continuing Property Records), as required. Provide information for updating Design Manager with blanket work order additions. Scan all work orders for record retention and research audits.
- Monitor and report actual-to-budget cost of General Plant Assets through Capital Asset Reporting schedules.
- Assist with writing accounting procedures to define internal control policies and scripts for job processes.
- Prepare miscellaneous accounts receivable invoices for damage claims, medical insurance, sale of materials, cable/phone pole attachments, and employee boot purchases.
- Review employee expense reimbursements for policy compliance.
- Coordinate with meter and technical services departments to read substation and large power customer meters. Use MV-90 metering software to provide billing information for interruptible and time of day customers to the billing department; provide substation information to Seminole for monthly purchased power billing and data files for customers.
- Utilize all SECO Energy equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Be alert to and notify appropriate personnel immediately any safety hazards involving SECO Energy equipment.
- Actively participate in SECO Energy safety meetings/programs.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of all applicable SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices and procedures.
- Attend and actively participate in training as scheduled.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence and to the Corporate Vision.
- Maintain and encourage open, honest communication with superiors and co-workers.
- Exhibit a commitment to customer focused service.
- Exhibit integrity and honesty in all actions.
- Exhibit a firm commitment to safety.
- Maintain a team player focused cooperative style.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters or must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- General sedentary office environment. Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling to report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including personal computer, calculator, printers, telephone, scanners, copiers, and FAX machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general sedentary office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.