Internship: Development of automated structural analysis tools
As a world leader in offshore floating solutions, SBM Offshore
has developed a plan to optimize, transform and innovate
current procedures and products to provide the world with
safe, sustainable and affordable energy for generations to
The development of FPSO (Floating Production Storage and
Offloading) and FLNG (Floating Liquefied Natural Gas) units
are part of the core business within SBM. The structural
design of the ship structure is an essential part to the success
of the complete project.
FPSO hull structures can be divided into two categories, ship
structures and interface structures. For each kind of structure,
different rules and calculations procedures are to be applied.
- Ship Structure calculations focus on the global
strength assessment of the ship.
- Interface Structure calculations are used to verify the
local strength at the interface area.
These calculations are typically standard calculations in
accordance with ship design Rules and Regulations. The
structural analysis process for hull and interface structure can
be improved by having automated tools.
Some tools need to be developed to improve the efficiency in the structural design process.
The goal of the internship is to develop a set of tools to automate the finite element calculation procedures for
structural analysis. The scope consists of:
1) Understand the general process of ship structural design.
2) Develop different code modules in visual basic in Excel for loading, analyzing and post-processing.of ship and interface structures.
3) Gain basic knowledge of finite element software Femap.
4) Gain basic knowledge of typical structural check, like yield and buckling evaluations.
You are currently following a relevant Bachelor or Master course.
You have a good knowledge of visual basic programming.
You have a basic knowledge of ship structure (preferred).
Contact for more information Register you’re CV and apply online by clicking on the ‘Apply’ button.
More information about SBM Offshore is to be found on www.sbmoffshore.com
Acquisition related to this vacancy will not be appreciated.