Storage Device Research Engineer
Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. is a world leader in Memory, System LSI and LCD technologies. We are currently looking for an exceptional senior FPGA engineer to join our team in San Jose, CA.
The Memory Solutions Lab (MSL) is part of Samsung’s Memory Business Unit, the industry's technology and volume leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, SRAM memory. MSL’s vision is to solve key problems and optimize architecture solutions for Cloud & Data center environments. We are an integral part of Samsung’s strong R&D focus & lab innovation engine. We work closely with development teams to bring feature innovation to product roadmaps.
We are currently looking for a Senior Storage Device Research Engineer to join our team in San Jose, CA. The Candidate will be a key technical member of MSL Data Center Device Solutions (DCDS) team. He or she will join a team of experts in researching and developing innovative data center/ cloud networking, storage, and compute ASIC/ FPGA and system solutions. The ideal candidate must have prior experience developing leading edge networking, storage, and/or embedded computing solutions.
· Research next generation storage (SSD) controller architectures
· Research Data Center storage requirements, bottlenecks and pain points
· Propose SSD architectures, solutions, features to address Data Center storage requirements
· Develop Proof-of-Concept (PoC) for the proposed storage device features and architectures using FPGAs and other modeling and emulation tools
· Develop FPGA based emulation platforms for next gen SSD architecture exploration
· Work on architecture, design, verification, lab bring-up, lab test and validation of FPGA based prototypes for storage applications
· Develop new IP for high performance solid state drives
· Work with hardware/ software architects developing one-of-a-kind innovative FPGA prototypes and contribute to feasibility studies & developing solutions
· Assist software architects developing Linux/ Windows device driver, test and debug
· B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering with 10 years of experience
· Solid understanding of storage technologies and SSD Controller architectures
· Good understanding of computer architecture, and logic design for ASIC/FPGA.
· Solid knowledge of System Verilog, Verilog and Perl/Python
· Good understanding of solid state storage technologies and protocols: NVMe, PCIe
· In-depth background in HDL development, Verilog coding, integration, synthesis, debug, simulation, test bench creation and debug using CAD tools (Synopsys, Mentor, Cadence, Xilinx FPGA tools)
· Hands-on lab prototype set up, testing, measurement and debug of storage solutions on FPGAs
· Hands-on experience with hardware board bring-up, server system integration and software integration with FPGAs
· Must be highly motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated attention to detail
· Ability to meet aggressive project deadlines in a team environment
· Ability to work successfully with cross-functional teams, including coordinating across organizational boundaries and geographies.
· Ability to create near term value within a strategic research environment.
· Comfortable working in a multinational environment and understands how to leverage cultural diversity
· Experience of NVMe SSD controller development
· Familiarity with Ethernet, TCP/IP, RDMA etc networking technologies
· Exposure to Security protocols and technologies
· Familiarity with IO virtualization technologies
· Past experience in FPGA design that uses high speed interfaces (DDR3/ DDR4, PCIe Gen3/Gen4 Root Port and End Point, acquired digital IP, Ethernet, Gb PHY SERDES), System on chip, ARM CPU, networking, storage digital design, integration, board and system hardware bring up