Senior Data Engineer
This role is part of the Product team within the Samsung NEXT organization
About NEXT Product
The NEXT Product organization is a hyper-growth startup within Samsung NEXT. We’re a globally distributed product development team in search of builders and creators to help conceive, grow and scale new products and categories.
Successful candidates, at all levels within the organization, will: approach all things team-first, take ownership and “be the change you seek”, have strong written and verbal communication skills, have high EQ, enjoy fast-paced, outcome-driven environments and be inspired to learn and explore daily both inside and outside of your field of expertise.
As a part of our team, you will be building new technology and products that will ultimately be used by millions of people every day, making a real impact on their lives. This is what we as a team have signed up for. This is why we are here!
You will be working in an environment where you will both participate and influence every stage of product development to production and scale. You will be building with the latest technologies and will be encouraged to experiment frequently.
- Take ownership of the data pipelines and work to scale, streamline, and harden the systems.
- Assess and recommend cutting edge data technologies to add to the growing needs of our product teams.
- Design and implement robust, scalable solutions to reveal actionable insights into data.
- Work with a diverse, distributed team of product owners and tech leads to assess and prioritize features and enhancements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Ability to learn quickly, adapt to change, and self-organize in a fast paced, startup environment.
- 6+ years of software engineering experience.
- 4+ years of experience in data engineering, business intelligence, data warehousing, and related technologies.
- Fluency in SQL or SQL-like languages.
- Extensive experience programming in Python, Java, Scala, Go or similar languages.
- Experience with data related technologies from AWS or GCP such as Redshift, BigQuery, Kinesis, Cloud Dataflow, Cloud Pub/Sub, Lambda, or Cloud Functions.
- Experience with database design and dimensional data modeling.
- Expertise in writing efficient SQL queries, including performance analysis, tuning and optimization.
- Experience with RDS technologies such as MySQL or PostgreSQL as well as NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB or DynamoDB.
- Familiarity with open source technologies related to data pipelines, data stores, data analytics, and data science.
- Interest in data visualization, presentation of quantitative information, and storytelling with data.
- Experience with workflow frameworks like Airflow.
- Experience building data driven web applications.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Superset, AWS Quicksight, or Google Data Studio.
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Terraform or Ansible.
- Experience contributing to open source projects.
About Samsung NEXT
We partner with and build software alongside innovators to develop ideas into products, grow products into businesses and scale businesses globally.
Founded in 2012, Samsung NEXT has four key functions in the global software ecosystem:
- Product - Building new software and services businesses, at scale.
- Venture - Investing in early stage startups to help entrepreneurs build and scale their businesses.
- Partnerships - Helping startups successfully partner with the variety of businesses within Samsung.
- M&A - Acquiring startups to connect and scale with our businesses.
Samsung is an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity)/Veterans/Disabled/LGBTQ employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.