Back End Scala Developer
This role is part of the Whisk team within the Samsung NEXT organization.
Whisk has built a multi-sided marketplace over the past 7 years that delivers value to each member of the network such as Publishers, Retailers, IOT & Health, and Brands. Whisk also has a consumer experience, my.whisk.com for shopping lists, saved recipes, and other potential experiences. Whisk joined Samsung NEXT in March, and there are plans to invest more heavily in the platform, to scale the business and grow each aspect of the network (publisher, retailer, IOT, Health, Brands, & B2C). Each investment should not only add value to its own experience but also the network of partners overall.
About NEXT Product
The NEXT Product organization is a hyper-growth startup within Samsung NEXT. We’re a globally distributed product development team in search of builders and creators to help conceive, grow and scale new products and categories.
Successful candidates, at all levels within the organization, will: approach all things team-first, take ownership and “be the change you seek”, have strong written and verbal communication skills, have high EQ, enjoy fast-paced, outcome-driven environments and be inspired to learn and explore daily both inside and outside of your field of expertise.
As a Back End Scala Developer, you will work on improving internal tools/services and integrations with our partners. You will be developing and supporting multiple projects in the food domain. Our core system is an elaborate entity graph consisting of recipes, products, allergies, nutrients, retailer products, etc. We expect you will be involved in all stages of development from designing solutions until deploying artifacts on production.
Our team is fully distributed, and it is essential for us that you can organize yourself and are not afraid to communicate with other team members. We are prepared to share our knowledge, and we are ready to learn something new from you. We are an open-minded team and not afraid to try new technologies if it can move us forward.
- Minimum 2 years of Scala development.
- Good knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience in the development of REST API web-services.
- Excellent communication, verbal, and written skills in English.
- Understanding of Docker
- Twitter Finagle framework
- Experience with functional libraries e.g., cats-effect or ZIO
- Experience with NoSQL databases (MongoDb, ElasticSearch)
About Samsung NEXT
We partner with and build software alongside innovators to develop ideas into products, grow products into businesses, and scale businesses globally.
Founded in 2012, Samsung NEXT has four critical functions in the global software ecosystem:
- Product - Building new software and services businesses, at scale.
- Venture - Investing in early-stage startups to help entrepreneurs build and scale their businesses.
- Partnerships - Helping startups successfully partner with the variety of businesses within Samsung.
- M&A - Acquiring startups to connect and scale with our businesses.
Samsung is an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity)/Veterans/Disabled/LGBTQ employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.