Marketing Innovation Manager
The Marketing Innovation Manager is responsible for leading the long-term vision for the Portfolio Strategy in beauty including key milestone decisions in the development of new products. The role reports to the VP, Product Development and Marketing Innovation and sits within the R&D Innovation organization to partner with the Product Development and Packaging teams to lead portfolio innovation for all beauty categories.
- Partner with Product Development team to influence the long-term vision for Portfolio Innovation to delight customers and oversight of new product pipeline strategies, Packaging design changes and improvements.
- Identify and size new whitespace opportunities in terms of product positioning, offering and adjacency categories that complement the existing portfolio and maximize incrementality
- Maintain a core grasp of the state of the business, category trends, business results and competitive landscape
- Develop the concept, positioning, portfolio differentiation, claims direction, packaging brief, name and pricing of new products
- Responsible for Partnering with PD on Pre-Gate 0 Innovation Roadmap and driving all Product Gates
- Lead an extremely matrixed organization to execute product marketing and development plans with appropriate cross-functional team members
- Establish new product COG, pricing/profit goals to influence revenue (in partnership with Finance)
- Conduct market research as needed and data analysis to identify insights, needs and opportunities
- Drive Product Claims Direction and Hierarchy
- Deep dive into new consumer targets with the Insights team, deeply understanding their wants and needs
- Track brand performance and make insight-based recommendations for action
- Consumer Need/Strategic Fit
- Competitive Landscape
- Carve Out Point of Difference
- Beauty Portfolio Strategy
- Consumer/Consultant Research Validation
- Target Claims Direction (Partner with PD)
- Target Claims Compliance (Legal/Regulatory)
- Pricing/COGS: Value vs Competitive Indexing & RF Portfolio
- Global Product Naming/Trademark
- Global Packaging Development including Packaging Brief/Development, Packaging Copy and Insert Instructions
- 8+ years of experience in brand or product management (at a beauty or consumer goods company preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related field
- MBA or general management training program highly desired
- Prior experience working on global businesses is preferred – APAC a big plus
- Solid strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills with proven expertise in problem solving
- Strong presentation skills and command of an audience
- Ability to distill complex problems and recommendations in easily-digestible, cohesive management-friendly presentations
- A strong understanding of the product life cycle and promotional process
- Excellent project management skills and ability to navigate ambiguity
- A demonstrated passion for beauty and/or consumer products and social commerce
- Collaborative orientation with the ability to effectively partner and motivate across functions and with outside vendors
- Excellent judgment in representing the Company to customers and consultants
- A proven track record of contributing positively to team culture, working collaboratively and being accountable
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and a great attention to detail
- Self-starter, ability to thrive in a fast paced, start-up environment
- Ability to influence a highly matrixed organization
Rodan + Fields was founded in 2000 by Stanford-trained dermatologists Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields with a passion for giving people the best skin of their lives — and the confidence that comes with it. With effective products, a unique business model and a powerful community of Independent Consultants, Rodan + Fields has disrupted the skincare category to become a leading skincare brand in North America. The company has grown its innovative line of products and expanded into Canada, Australia and Japan. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, R+F now employs 500+ people, has more than 300,000 enrolled Independent Consultants and over two million Preferred Customers.
At Rodan + Fields, you will be challenged to make an impact, inspired to do more, and rewarded for your contributions. We are transforming skincare, and we welcome your big ideas to fuel our ambitious growth plans! If you are looking for a life-changing career opportunity, we've got your prescription. You’ll become part of a positive, passionate movement that celebrates greatness and encourages employees to be catalysts for change. We provide a creative, vibrant workplace outfitted with all of the technology, tools and training you'll need to learn, grow and thrive! We create life-changing impact in our communities through our non-profit, Prescription for Change®, the heart of Rodan + Fields. By funding empowerment programs for students, we teach them how to use their skills to make life-changing differences in their lives and the lives of others. Join us and share your talents as we develop innovative solutions for your skin and empower entrepreneurs. In addition to working arm-in-arm with industry leaders, employees at Rodan + Fields enjoy rich benefits plans and perks.
Rodan + Fields is an equal opportunity employer that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military/veteran status, or disability status.
We welcome employees to be their true, authentic selves, without exception and believe individual differences add value to our team. Join our team; we know it will be a life- changing experience!
With the spread of COVID-19 globally, our Bay Area offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of phase 1 employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and new hire onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing.