Character Costume & Wardrobe Stylist
At Rockstar Games, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for a Costume & Wardrobe Stylist to work in the Art team as we continue to create memorable characters to populate our game worlds. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- We research, organize and present visual materials and wardrobe ideas for a breadth of digital characters to service both narrative plot and broader vision for our games.
- We pay close attention to clothing cut and fit, sewing and pattern construction, and are fully versed in clothing and garment terminology.
- We understand how both sizing and textile/material choices affect both fit and wear on garments, and the power of pattern and color palette.
- We are looking for someone who will be as obsessed as we are about getting the details correct.
- You are highly organized with great presentation skills, and you have a passion to get involved in the creative pipeline for digital costuming.
- Our mature digital character pipeline is always evolving to incorporate new methods which help us hit our visual bar. Your role will be to work within the boundaries of our wardrobe system and technology to hit our creative goals.
- We are looking for someone with a deep appreciation of the history and cultural importance which clothing plays in society; from past eras to modern, global street styles and trends. You’ll be able to creatively communicate that knowledge and understanding visually and effectively into our process.
- Ideally you will have a background in fashion design and creative production.
- A background in game development is not a prerequisite for this role. We’ll help the right person grow their skillset further, and we will expect the right candidate to want to expand their creative abilities into active game production.
- An expansive knowledge and passion for what’s culturally and socially relevant in music, television, internet and film is very desirable.
- Capability to expansively research a given brief for visual support materials.
- Extremely proficient and talented in Photoshop for art paint-overs and visual research organization.
- Critically aware of cultural and societal trends and vibe in clothing/outfits, wear and styles.
- A deep understanding and appreciation of garment construction, sewing, and methodology of clothing creation.
- An obsessive eye for detail and drapery in respect of garments of all types, and an acute awareness of how fabrics and materials age and degrade over time.
- A comprehensive visual portfolio/samples showing a range of work relevant to the role.
- Self-motivated with excellent, friendly and effective communication skills within a global team setting.
- Ability to collaborate within other team disciplines - Art, Production, Technical.
PLUSESPlease note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Strong traditional art and design foundations with a fashion background or qualification.
- Experience in digital character production or digital garment workflows.
- An interest in new digital techniques related to costume design and fashion.
- Experience using Marvelous Designer or Clo3d.
HOW TO APPLYPlease apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.