Senior Software Development Engineer
Senior Software Development Engineer
RMS is building a cutting-edge risk management platform for the global risk market, enabling RMS’ clients to share, discover, and consume Petabytes of risk modeling and insurance data to produce big insights. We enable teams at RMS to produce world-class risk models, and our customers to consume and integrate the resulting analytical data in their business processes. On top of this platform, we are developing innovative products with state-of-the-art user experiences. We’re looking for top engineers to help us build this from the ground up in our new Bellevue office.
This is a hands-on position where you will do everything from designing and building components and cutting-edge features to formulating strategy and direction within the Org. You need to not only be a top developer with excellent programming skills and a stellar record of delivery but also excel at leadership and customer obsession.
RMS is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer who is excited and passionate about tackling complex, leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework, solving incredibly challenging business and science real-world problems that will have a real impact.
Our team is responsible for automating the entire stack of high performance, large scale, geographically dispersed resources throughout its lifecycle. This is a technology stack that will challenge you and diversify your skills.
We are building a system from the ground-up that:
- is a highly scalable, cloud-based SaaS offering that performs low latency querying against detailed risk analysis data
- leverages cloud-based PaaS offerings and open source technologies as the foundation
- uses Spark, Linux, Java, C#, and leverages the latest advances in database tools, vector processing, hardware-based acceleration techniques, and geographic visualization tools
- utilizes a unique Big Data approach scaling to a massive size over time, large-scale distributed data processing technology, and best-in-class virtualization technology
- Expertise in Java, C#, or Scala, and software development in general
- Experience with relational and big data storage such as PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Apache Spark, Kudu, Snowflake and similar technologies
- Proficient skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Knowledge of advanced programming concepts such as multi-threading, memory management, and query processing
- Passion for finding and solving problems
- 5-7+ years of programming experience; proven track record of on-time delivery
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
Desirable experience and skills:
- Experience in performance tuning, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Experience working on and/or with cloud and open source technologies such as Spark, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Distributing Processing
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Prior history with agile development
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy. We are one of the most exciting companies you’ve probably ‘never’ heard of unless you’re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. We are evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, our cutting-edge risk management platform for the global risk market. RMS will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, and all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS.RMS has 1,200 employees in 11 countries, including offices in Newark (CA-USA), Noida (India), London (UK), Hoboken (NJ-USA), and Zurich (Switzerland).To find out more, visit www.rms.com or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or @rmsjobs on Twitter.RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.