Senior Software Engineer
RMS is looking for engineers who are excited and passionate about tackling complex leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework. We are looking to solve incredibly challenging business and science real-world problems that will have real impact.
We are building a new system from the ground-up that:
- is a highly scalable, elastic, cloud-based SaaS offering that performs detailed risk analyses
- is based on open source technologies (such as Apache Spark, Apache Parquet) and Cloud-based technologies (such as Amazon S3, Amazon EKS, Amazon Aurora and Snowflake) and leverages the latest advances in database tools, vector processing, hardware-based acceleration techniques, and geographic visualization tools
- utilizes a unique Big Data approach scaling to massive sizes over time, large scale distributed data processing technology, and best-in-class virtualization technology
Required experience and skills:
- Expertise in Java and Scala
- Expertise in cluster computing technologies such as Apache Spark or Hadoop MapReduce
- Experience in columnar data storage format such Apache Parquet
- Familiarity with relational and big data such as Postgres, HDFS, Aurora, Dynamo and similar technologies
- Familiarity with Git and build automation tools such as Maven
- Strong skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Strong mathematical background, including statistics and numerical analysis
- Knowledge of advanced programming concepts such as memory management, files & handles, multi-threading and operating systems
- Experience in unit testing techniques
- Passion for finding and solving problems
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Software Development Life Cycle experience including planning, designing, development, testing and debugging. Proven track record of on-time delivery
- Master of Science in Computer Science or Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with 5 or more years’ experience.
- 5+ years of programming experience
Desirable experience and skills:
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python or R
- Experience in performance measurement, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Significant experience in multi-threading and memory management
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Experience in agile development
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.