The Modeler will work in a multidisciplinary team developing new predictive models and decision-making tools for P&C insurance industry. Solid background predictive modeling and analytics, data science and machine learning, mathematics and statistics is required. Relevant background in epidemiology, physiology, human biology, genetics, public health is highly desirable. The modeler will also be expected to become an expert in the existing models that are being maintained and refined by the LifeRisks group.
Essential Job Functions:
- Understanding the modeling approach of the LifeRisks products at RMS, updating, maintaining and refining the mathematical models as well as parts of the software that pertain to the model development and execution.
- Keep abreast of pertinent data science, predictive modeling, epidemiological and medical research. Be able to quantify and refine the models to reflect these changes and discoveries.
- Create prototype analytical models and develop software code for testing, validation and transition of these models into the production software.
- Understand life and health insurance products and cash flows.
- Solve difficult, non-routine problems using structured reasoning and the synthesis of both quantitative and qualitative information.
- Clearly communicate highly technical results and methods to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Master’s or PhD in quantitative discipline; such as math, data science, actuarial science, statistics, epidemiology, operations research or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience (PhD) or 5+ years (Master’s) preferably in data science / predictive modeling.
- Solid background in probability and statistics
- Knowledge in machine learning, GLM and Bayesian statistical inference is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in data analysis software tools and strong scientific programming experience in R, Python or equivalent.
- Experience in using Excel and SQL.
- Ability to apply analytical and programming skills to solve unstructured problems requiring new development and data analysis.
- Strong background in biological sciences, epidemiology, or actuarial experience is a strong plus.
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required for this role.
- An entrepreneurial approach to new challenges and opportunities.
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyber attacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.