Software Development Engineer II
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
Senior Software Engineer
Risk Modeler is a highly scalable, cloud-based SaaS offering that performs detailed risk analyses for our 400+ clients worldwide. RMS(one) is based on multiple technologies like Microsoft dotNET, Java, Linux, AWS/Azure cloud technologies and other open source technologies leveraging the latest advances in database tools, vector processing, hardware-based acceleration techniques, and geographic visualization tools. RMS(one) supports 100+ TB of data warehousing/OLAP solutions, large scale distributed data processing technology, and best-in-class virtualization technology in a SaaS environment.
We are an agile software development company, looking for an experienced software programmer who is very good at Java, C#, or in C/C++ programming languages with experience in areas like data services, analytics, data transformation, language parsing, and geographic information systems. Collaborate with software engineers, quality engineers, scrum masters, product owners, and our architecture team, to develop multi-tier, multi-layered application layer framework, and functional components.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in designing, developing, and innovating together as you bring your considerable software engineering skills to our dynamically growing organization.
Required experience and skills:
- Proficiency in Java programming language with good understanding of software design patterns and architecture. Good knowledge and preferably working experience of C#, C/C++ programming language will be an added advantage.
- Understanding and clear concepts of functional and object-oriented programming.
- Experience in designing large data heavy applications is an added advantage.
- Programming experience in GIS applications is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of version control processes (git), Code Collaboration, and Continuous Integration Systems
- Excellent communication skills, ability to understand the requirements and hand off efficiently to onshore, self-starter and operating independently
- Experience working with relational databases structured query languages, and SQL tools
- 5+ years of hands-on software development and maintenance experience in enterprise/cloud-based applications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, MIS or relevant experience
Desirable/Nice to Have experience and skills:
- Familiarity with GIS and Spatial Data Computations and queries.
- Familiarity with relational and big data tech stack such as Postgres, Geodatabase, sqlserver, hdfs, s3, spark
- Familiarity with REST API and web services,
- Familiarity in software throughput performance optimization, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage and blockades.
- Familiarity in multi-threading and memory management concepts.