Director of Product Management – Flood Modeling
Director of Product Management – Flood Models
Location: North America
RMS is the world's leading provider of analytics and decision science solutions for the quantification and management of catastrophe risks. The models and consulting services of RMS are used by hundreds of insurance and reinsurance companies, hedge funds, corporations, and governments to assess a wide-range of natural and man-made perils such as - earthquake, flood, windstorm, terrorism, and disease pandemic. RMS continues to grow and diversify in order to service and meet the requirement of its clients through research and technology innovation and superior client service. The company's strength lies in its ability to use and develop the skills of its people across a wide remit of business activities.
The RMS Product Management team defines the products used in the insurance industry to quantify loss from catastrophes and to manage portfolios of exposures. This includes the RMS catastrophe models and data, as well as infrastructure, analytical engines, and applications that define the RMS modeling platform. We have been at the forefront of building catastrophe models for over 30 years and building a cutting-edge risk management platform for the global risk market.
The primary focus of this position will be supporting our US Climate Hazard product management team, with focus on our US Flood model. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a genuine interest in business applications of scientific and engineering-based products and who is interested in combining technical knowledge with a product management role. The role provides an excellent opportunity to be involved in many aspects of RMS’ core business. Your responsibilities will include:
- Being the product manager for RMS models utilizing a deep understanding of the US (re)insurance market - especially the flood (re)insurance market (including the regulatory situation) and their use of flood modeling products
- Identifying opportunities and product roadblocks
- Go to market, competitive analyses and win-loss analyses
- Sales enablement and go-to-market planning
- Representation of RMS at industry conferences.
- Working with both model and software developers to create innovative solutions.
- The role is focused on but not limited to the flood peril and will require a close collaboration across the climate perils including event response.
You will have:
- A deep understanding of the US property (re)insurance industry, especially flood insurance including the role of flood regulation
- Experience in product management to develop and execute successful go to market strategies
- Experience in running catastrophe models and an excellent understanding of interpreting results and their use applications in the industry
- A masters degree or higher in a natural science (ideally with a background in flood science), economics, actuarial or computer science disciplines.
- A keen interest in all aspects of natural hazards, including the role of climate change on flood risk and their impact on society, businesses and the insurance sector
- Good research and problem-solving skills combined with the ability to define successful market and product requirements
- An ability to think outside of the box and to drive innovation
- A consultative approach to client interactions and ability to manage conflicting inputs.
- Exceptional versatility in engaging in technical subjects to a varied client base.
- Strong organizational and communication skills required to take a product to the market and work with sales to drive the commercial success in the market
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Project/Program Management Experience
There is a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify