Staff, UI Designer - Design Systems
RMS' App Experience group is revolutionizing a $1 trillion global industry through a highly design-centric approach to problem solving and app development. Our software solutions help to better understand risk events like catastrophes, terrorism and cyber threats to create a more resilient and sustainable global society. What will you help to create?
We are looking for a Staff UI Designer, Design System to join our team to create world-class visual design and highly scalable design systems used by designers, engineers, content producers and marketers working across a variety of devices, platforms and use cases. You will design systems and paradigms that will drive the functional and visual direction of cutting-edge products and applications and work with UI/Front-end engineers to implement into code. You will fuel and bring to market software solutions that delight and empower customers with making informed decisions with global impact.
As a Staff UI Designer, Design System, you will partner with other designers, product managers and engineering leaders to build delightful patterns, components and paradigms, and establish and promote a design culture throughout the organization. You will articulate the design vision and strategy while overseeing the user experience across multiple applications. This role requires you to simultaneously balance and drive design and technical goals and shape the visual design language for the user experience across the application suite. You have relentlessly high standards and never satisfied with the status quo. If you’re ready to make a difference to RMS and its customers, and if you want huge challenges to tackle, we would love to talk to you.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and further develop our Design Systems used throughout the entire App Experience organization to create amazing user experiences that delight customers
- Provide the creative direction for new and existing features including Visual Styles, UI Components, and web-based documentation
- Rapidly prototype to visualize requirements, explore multiple product directions, and validate hypotheses - understanding the business and technical impact of your directions
- Apply your deep understanding of UI best practices to drive innovation in the Design System and ensure visual solutions are highly scalable across multiple applications
- Coach and mentor other designers on the team and provide creative direction
- Act as a constant advocate for the Design System and evangelize its use across the organization
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure a consistent brand experience
- Contribute to building out practices and culture across the design organization
- Lead user research projects by employing different techniques (e.g., user studies, surveys, usability tests, A/B tests)
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 8+ years of experience leading and delivering UI & visual design
- Demonstrable track record of shipping world-class UI / Visual designs
- Demonstrable successes in innovating, scaling, and iterating strong UI / Visual designs
- Excellent communication skills - communicate clearly and distinctly, both verbally and in writing, to peers and stakeholders
- Deep understanding of HTML/CSS/JS and front-end frameworks
- Must have strong (online) portfolio showcasing world-class design work
- Master’s Degree in HCI, CS or related field
- Experience in SaaS and/or analytics platforms
- Experience in complex B2B industries, such as finance and/or insurance
- Experience with (web) animation tools
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.