Software Engineer: Java, Scala
RMS is looking for engineers who are excited and passionate about tackling complex leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework. We are looking to solve incredibly challenging business and science real-world problems that will have a real impact.
- Design, develop and maintain high-performance risk analytics, enterprise application designs, and software infrastructure using object-oriented design and analysis, using Java/Scala.
- Experience working with Linux applications.
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server writing Stored Procedures, complex sql.
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server writing Stored Procedures, complex sql queries.
- Experience working on distributed computing application on Linux platform.
- Experience working with Kubernetes, docker.
- Must have excellent debugging skills on multi-tenant cloud environment.
What You'll Be Doing:
Utilize modularity and layering to enable high scalability and maintainability for software applications. Write high-performance computer algorithms and software code for Risk Analytics suite of applications. Create software design documents, architecture, sequence, class and related artifacts. Translate design inputs into development work items. Assist in providing estimates for levels of effort required to accomplish expected deliverables. Collaborate with fellow engineers, Product/Project Managers and Quality Assurance engineers to develop multi-tier, multi-layered application layer framework and functional components, following coding, documentation and design standards. Research new technologies and techniques to support leading-edge development. Provide an active contribution to the team responsible for the design, development, and implementation of critical enterprise scale applications.
Required experience and skills:
- Expertise in Java
- Nice to have Scala
- Master of Science in Computer Science or Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with 5 or more years’ experience.
- 5+ years of programming experience
Desirable experience and skills:
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python or R
- Familiarity with notebook technologies such as Apache Zeppelin or Jupyter
- Experience in performance measurement, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Significant experience in multi-threading and memory management
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Experience in agile development.
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.