JOB TITLE: Counselor
REPORTS TO: This position reports to the Facility Director
JOB SUMMARY: To provide counseling services to clients in accordance with
Virginia state and federal regulations as well as agency policies and
- Ensure the completion of patient databases, treatment plans, progress notes, discharge summaries, and other essential documentation in accordance with applicable federal and state standards as well as agency policies and procedures.
- Provide patient with orientation regarding objectives of the program, phase system requirements, rule and regulations, sanctions, hours of services, patient rights, and additional information to help patient adjust to the program.
- Assure each patient is assessed and placed according to the treatment phases in accordance with Federal and State standards as well as agency policies.
- Keep all patient files organized and updated for own and agency’s use in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Counsel patient in crisis situations by identifying patient resources and coping abilities in order to help patient cope with and take steps to resolve situations utilizing crisis wave techniques.
- Counsel patient who has refused to comply with specific program requirements in order to increase patient awareness of possible consequences of noncompliance.
- Arrange referrals to other agencies and resources in the community when appropriate.
- Perform quarterly treatment plan reviews or as indicated based on patients progress or lack of progress.
- Participate in case conferences and case reviews in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Develop and increase knowledge of federal, state, and agency regulations regarding confidentiality, methadone treatment, and substance abuse counseling best practices.
- Submit all internal and external correspondences to supervisor for review and approval.
- Secure necessary documentation from patient, when appropriate, to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Submit monthly and quarterly statistical reports to supervisor.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Requires a 4 year degree in a social science discipline and at least 1 year substance abuse related experience.
- Substance abuse counselors shall:
- Receive ongoing in-service training;
- Be trained and evaluated before being assigned counseling responsibilities;
- Be counted towards the patient to counselor ratio
- Demonstrate understanding and willingness to adhere to all code of ethics, confidentiality and HIPPA requirements
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.