Director of Backend Engineering
Hello from Pinger! Our market-leading communications products have been downloaded by hundreds of millions of iOS and Android users around the world. Our simple mission is to help individuals and businesses communicate in new and surprisingly simple ways. We are profitable, growing and are having fun. Pinger is located in downtown San Jose, walking distance to dozens of restaurants and public transit and is embracing remote work.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering for its Backend and Data Warehouse Engineering teams. This role reports to the VP of Engineering. The engineering team is based in San Jose, CA. but this can be a remote role. You will be responsible for hiring, developing and mentoring a team of local engineers and first level managers as well as managing our remote engineers. You are passionate about modern technology and understand Agile principles and processes. You are not opposed to travel and understand that regular face to face interactions foster better remote communication.
- Own the technical roadmap for Pinger’s backend and data warehouse functions; be the Product Owner for the group’s deliverables.
- Collaborate with other engineering and product leaders to execute long term product strategy.
- Coach and mentor team members, including goal setting and career development.
- Recruitment of new team members as needed.
- Provide technical guidance as needed to reporting managers and engineers.
- Experience managing backend and cloud engineering for at least 5 years.
- Overall software development experience for at least 8 years.
- Operational experience delivering a SaaS platform.
- Track record of attracting, recruiting, hiring and mentoring great people.
- Experience managing remote teams.
- Drives processes that improve communication, scalability, reliability and performance.
- Understands the benefits of testing and CI/CD while keeping a pragmatic approach for improving legacy code.
- Most comfortable in a fast moving agile/scrum development environment.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to successfully collaborate with other teams to meet their needs (Product, QA, Operations, Client Teams, etc.).
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or equivalent industry experience)
- Data warehouse management experience.
- Domain Driven Design and/ or Test Driven Development experience
- Experience in cloud engineering
- Experience in observability.