MKG West is looking for a 3D/2D experiential designer with a focus on art direction and environmental spaces. This multi-talented designer reports into the Head of Design and will lead projects for high-profile clients, be a part of a larger design team on multi-prong, larger programs, manage multiple projects/tasks at once and design interns as needed, and be a collaborative and strong voice for the design team at MKG West.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
IDEATION: Develop concepts through inspirational mood boards, napkin sketching, mock-ups and collaborative brainstorming (internally and externally). Work with the Creative team on concept development for programmed elements in the space, often working from a winning proposal deck.
3D DESIGN: Attend site visits with clients and conduct site surveys to create scaled floor plans with programmed design and experiential elements. Model in 3D space for a final outcome of environmental renderings complete with texture, lighting and experiential elements. Understand material and fabrication processes to create build mechanicals & material spec’ing for custom scenic and environmental designs, integrating tech, lighting and more. Source and style furniture and props to add to the brand story.
2D DESIGN: Utilize Adobe CC to create or work alongside a graphic designer to create graphics of all scales - from large-scale environmental branding to the digital invitation or social post. Follow through with print file prep and production, as well as approving proofs and communicating with specialty vendors.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Manage internal spreadsheets, external vendors, design budgeting and project timeline for midsize projects to keep on track and hit important agency and client deadlines. Work alongside project designers, whether full-time or contract and often under an Associate Senior or Senior Designer on large-scale projects. Work alongside and collaborate with contract project workers, such as lighting designers, graphic animators, technical directors, and more.
COMMUNICATION: Create and manage client-ready presentation decks featuring design/creative work: mood boards, floor plans, renderings, mockups, graphics, furniture/prop selects, and various other project-related items. Communicate internally with Production, Creative, Business Development, and Operations teams, as well as sell ideas and creative design work to clients, collaborative agencies, and more.
- As a superstar candidate, you:
- Storytell and sell ideas and concepts to clients
- Output extraordinary work under strict deadlines
- Navigate speed bumps and overcome project challenges in an efficient and clear fashion
- Remain poised and efficient while juggling multiple projects and requests
- Understand collaboration within multi-prong projects across the agency and often with external agency partners
- Are an active member of the larger design team suggesting field trips, sharing information and generally always being down for a quick charette
- Are dog-friendly!
- In the future, you are excited to:
- Take on larger scale project management of budget, timeline and design deck
- Manage junior designers and other designers in the department on large-scale programs
- Grow leadership qualities in a professional atmosphere
- Understand the interdepartmental process and strategy
- 3+ years of professional experience leading creative & experiential projects
- Strong portfolio of creative work featuring executed designs and project management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Environmental/Exhibition Design, Architecture, Interior Design or related field
- SketchUp Pro + rendering plug-in (Podium ideal, VRay)
- Rhino a plus
- AutoCad a plus or SketchUp Layout for spatial planning
- Google Drive Suite (specifically Slides for presentations and Sheets for budgeting/project management)
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite