Director, Defense Intelligence and Data
Position Opening: Director, Defense Intelligence and Data
Background: Aviation Week, the world’s top aerospace reporting and analysis firm, has an Intelligence and Data Services (IDS) Division which generates in-depth products for clients in the aerospace industry. The division’s defense team manages these products for military aircraft and has an immediate opening for a leader to help drive the defense intelligence and data content strategy.
Position Description: This position is core to the growth of Aviation Week’s intelligence and data services and is responsible for helping to create the defense intelligence and data strategy while developing and managing a team of analysts and several very robust data sets to meet the needs of the sophisticated defense customer base.
- Content Strategy, Creation and Oversight
- Oversee the maintenance, updating and improvement of all defense/military datasets, including:
- Global military aircraft fleet inventories and projections.
- Aircraft maintenance data including costs, providers and projected opportunities by aircraft.
- Program descriptions, specifications and parts suppliers.
- Contact information for organizations and individuals.
- Contract Data.
- Annual Defense Budget Analysis.
- Analysis of relevant political, military, economic and programmatic events.
- Establish best practices, methodologies and review processes to ensure quality of datasets and all final products.
- Product Development and Improvement
- Responsible for the development and scheduling of military data and analytic products including:
- Military Aircraft Database
- Annual Fleet and MRO Forecast
- Data presented on the Aviation Week Intelligence Network (AWIN) subscription website or in the Aerospace Daily and Defense Report daily market briefing.
- Manage defense-related special reports and custom research: Participate in sales discussion with clients to assess needs, estimate time and cost requirements, manage execution of accepted projects and ensure quality of final deliverables.
- Brand Champion/Business Development
- Participate and speak at industry and Aviation Week military events.
- Contribute data, analysis and input to other content efforts as needed.
- Interact with other arms of Aviation Week Network.
- Attend customer meetings as needed to provide subject matter expertise.
- Management/Team Development
- Manage a team of analysts in the creation of quality data sets and products.
- Recruit, train, and develop team members.
- 10+ years’ experience in the defense industry, military or defense analytics/consulting.
- Comfortable with complex data sets and analytics.
- Knowledge of Western military aircraft.
- Experience with analyzing, researching, operating or maintaining military aircraft is preferred.
- Polished communications skills including speaking, writing and editing.
- Candidates must be capable of both substantive supervision and business development.
Position Location: 1911 N. Ft. Myer Dr.
Arlington, VA 22209
(One block north of the Rosslyn metro stop)