Congressional and Regulatory Editor
Informa's Aviation Week Network is seeking a Congressional and Regulatory Editor.
This position is responsible for leading Washington, D.C. commercial aviation regulatory coverage with a strong focus on Congress, the Departments of Transportation, State and Justice, the FAA, and other agencies and advocacy organizations. The role will require frequent contact with lawmakers and staffers, and be based part of the week on Capitol Hill. The ideal candidate will develop contacts with congressional, regulatory and aviation industry representatives, airline and manufacturer government affairs executives, aviation law firms, lobbying groups and labor unions. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Although the position’s primary focus will be producing daily, high-value and analytical news content for Aviation Daily/ATW Daily News, the role will also require:
- Reporting and writing occasional feature stories for Aviation Week and Air Transport World magazines.
- Social media reporting and commentary.
The Congressional and Regulatory Editor’s coverage areas will include:
- Regulatory policies that affect commercial aviation
- U.S. international air transport policy, include State Department bilateral air service negotiations and trade policies
- Transportation and Justice Department competition policies.
- Labor negotiations
- And developing enterprise articles on all of the above
Additional responsibilities will include:
- A regular presence on Capitol Hill to develop relationships with lawmakers and staffers and airline government affairs staff.
- Work in close coordination with editorial team members covering related beats, such as air traffic management and aviation safety.
- Bachelor’s degree and several years of experience reporting on regulatory matters and Congress,
- Aviation-journalism experience an advantage but not required.
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Clear, concise writing style. Clips will be required.
The ideal candidate is an energetic team player who understands the importance of deadlines.