Veterinary Equine Surgeon - Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital
The Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital Large Animal Referral Hospital is recruiting for an energetic and motivated full-time Equine Surgeon to join our large animal hospital and field service team. Combined, our referral hospital and field service team have three (3) boarded certified large animal surgeons, three (3) LA ambulatory practitioners, two (2) LA interns. Pilchuck is a large multi-species facility which also houses a Small Animal General Practice, 24-hour small animal emergency, Integrative Medicine, and a reference quality in-house laboratory.
Our practice is in beautiful Western Washington. We have the best of both worlds – proximity to downtown Seattle culture with a more rural and quieter scene surrounding us. The equine/large animal portion of our 23-acre facility houses modalities such as digital X-Ray, endoscopy, ultrasound, MRI, and provides 24-hour nursing care, and an in-house reference quality lab. Our well-equipped practice performs a broad range of general, neurological, orthopedic, and arthroscopic/laparoscopic surgeries. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package while striving to maintain a work/life balance for our team.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Provide veterinary care to horses and various other large animals with an emphasis on sports medicine in both a hospital and ambulatory setting. Conduct a variety of technical medical and surgical duties relevant to inpatient and outpatient cases in the equine/large animal hospital, while working in accordance with hospital policies and procedures. Participate in the emergency on-call rotation for the large animal referral hospital.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and manage hospitalized patients.
- Perform outpatient and ambulatory exams for lameness and other medical issues.
- Oversee Interns and nursing staff treating cases.
- Perform large animal surgical procedures both elective and emergency.
- Oversee the billing for each case.
- Evaluate animals for changes in clinical status.
- Maintain accurate medical records for each patient.
- Take radiographs.
- Perform bandage changes.
- Perform endoscopic procedures.
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Participate in the emergency on-call rotation for the large animal hospital, as needed. (One night per week and one in three weekends.)
- Oversee anesthesia, injectable and inhalant, performed on horses and other large animal species for surgical and MRI cases.
- Oversee Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Oversee sterile assistance in surgical procedures.
- Perform or oversee Shockwave procedures.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Board certified in large animal surgery with prior experience as an Associate Equine Veterinary Surgeon with an emphasis on soft tissue surgery or related, which includes experience in an equine/mixed animal practice and horse and large animal handling. Washington State Veterinary License required.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (or equivalent)
- Board certified in large animal surgery
CERTIFICATES, LICENESE, REGISTRATIONS:
- Washington State Veterinary License required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- May be required to use strength and/or agility in walking and restraining stronger, more active animals.
- Outside work is required.
- Exposure to unpleasant odors and noises as well as bites, kicks and animal wastes.
- Possible exposure to contagious diseases.
• Competitive salary plus bonus potential
• Medical, Dental & Vision insurance
• Annual CE allowance
• Generous Paid Parental Leave
• Life and Long-Term Disability insurance
• A team that values collaboration, and work-life balance
You take great care of pets... We take great care of you.
If this seems like a perfect place for you, we look forward to speaking with you. Apply today!!