Quality Assurance Supervisor
This position will support the facility in all areas of Quality Assurance and compliance. The individual will support and be a viable back-up to the QA Manager in peak periods and during time off. The person will be responsible for conducting the required activities in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards. The role participates in adherence to and continuous improvement of the facility’s prerequisite programs, policies and procedures to meet plant performance goals related to first-pass compliance with Food Safety, Regulatory, and Customer Quality requirements. The position will have responsibility for performing investigations related to internal deviations and consumer/customer complaints.
Food Safety, Quality and Audits
- Executes food safety and quality policies, procedures and applicable standards including but not limited to:
- Manage Hold and Release process. Assure all out of product is handled appropriately.
- Allergen program Compliance
- Food Security and Defense Program
- Preparation for BRC compliance and other customer audits
- Assists with compliance with Kosher, Halal, Organic, GMO and other identity preserved qualifications
- Incoming and outgoing trailer quality inspections
- Back-up to the Manager, Quality Assurance & Food Safety on but not limited to (Mock recalls, customer complaints, pest control, product contaminations, federal and local government agencies events, MSDSs, ATP Tracking, new product review, training and HACCP compliance.
- Quality Assurance training program
- Creation of Non-conforming Product Deviation for incoming ingredients, outgoing shipments and internal findings.
- Updating, logging and filing technical documentation
- Environmental Monitoring – review trends to ensure that proper sanitation expectations are being followed.
- Assist with supplier and customer approval program – documentation maintenance
- Participating in internal deviation identification, resolution and follow-ups
- Collaborating with Operations in preparing for and managing audits and inspections:
- Completing monthly requirements for BRC audit
- Internal facility and procedure audits
- Customer audits
- Certifying body audits
- Claims of identity assurance audits
- Production paperwork audits
- Generation of gain/loss investigations
- Developing and maintaining required documentation and records. Creating necessary documentation and graphs to demonstrate data or testing results.
- Collaborating with the General Manager, Production Supervisors and other facility staff on inspections (raw materials and WIP), pest control, and safety audits.
- Conducting product investigations for non-conformances.
- Conducting effective, timely investigation and resolution of food safety issues
- Planning, participating in and documenting validation studies.
- Continuously looking for ways to improve plant quality and cleanliness through improved processes.
- Identifying trends and issues and proposing solutions.
- Assuring that sample collection procedures, environmental monitoring, raw materials, packaging materials, and finished goods meet the appropriate regulations and standards.
- Supports Kosher and Halal certification compliance
- Conducts safety and hazard analysis of new ingredients and projects
- Assisting the Laboratory Manager as required.
- Ensuring that Certificates of Analysis are provided as required.
- Verifying that all tests meet specification for the products in question, records are properly maintained and corrective actions taken when deviations occur.
- Performing consistency studies to verify that products meet specification across batches or runs.
- Providing creative solutions to product problems.
- Creation of new Certificate of Analysis templates
- Coordinating sample extractions with plant personnel and office staff.
- Lab testing may include sensory evaluation or additional pilot kitchen work.
- Coordinating with clients and sales for work required for pilot kitchen needs.
- Ensure effective communication between the outside lab and PacMoore including immediately notify management if any critical food safety tests results are a risk (pathogens, allergens).
- Assist Customer Account Managers with creating outside testing forms
- Responsible for checking information returned from outside labs to determine if results meet specifications for the product being tested. Collate outside lab results with PacMoore internal results.
- Communication with and receipt of project direction from with Quality Manager and Quality Director.
- Regular communication and teamwork with Lab Manager and Lab technician
- Responsible for supervising QA techs on multiple shifts
- Collaborates daily with Plant Manager, Production Manager, Production Supervisors, other QA staff and other facility staff
- Works with a culturally diverse work force
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science based study
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in food a manufacturing quality assurance role
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking, reasoning, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Process-oriented; ability to and interested in continuous process improvement
- Proactive , with a strong sense of urgency
- Works on a flexible schedule as needed
- Possesses great organizational skills and has focus on detail
- Ability to multi-task and complete assigned jobs in a timely manner
- Demonstrates working knowledge of Food Safety Compliance Standards
- Has competence to specify the safety, quality and operational criteria necessary to fulfill obligations with regard to legal compliance and protection of the consumer in a food manufacturing organization