Senior Advisor, Corporate Advocacy
TITLE: Senior Advisor, Corporate Advocacy, Private Sector Department
LOCATION: Boston or Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Advocacy Manager, Private Sector Department
COORDINATES WITH: Private Sector Department, Campaigns Department , thematic teams, and senior leaders and staff of other relevant Oxfam America, affiliates and Oxfam International teams and offices.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning; to develop and drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for campaigns and policy work around corporate tax and inequality, food and agriculture, gender justice, business and human rights, and other agency priorities; to raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on development and poverty issues.
Strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning
- Co-lead Oxfam America’s corporate advocacy in key industry sectors.
- Provide strategic guidance on corporate advocacy and campaigning to Oxfam campaign teams, country and regional offices, and partners.
- Develop protocols and materials aimed at strengthening Oxfam’s corporate advocacy and campaigning capacity.
- Drive engagement of senior leadership and Oxfam International on private sector engagement across campaigns.
- Develop policy and execute a strategy for corporate advocacy on corporate tax and inequality, food and agriculture, gender justice, business and human rights, and other agency priorities.
- Serve as a high-profile spokesperson/representative to raise the profile of Oxfam America’s private sector work.
- Create and manage the production of written corporate advocacy materials, including policy documents, campaign reports, briefs, online content, and material for traditional and social media outreach.
- Manage campaign spikes within private sector advocacy campaigns as appropriate.
Drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for specific campaigns and initiatives
- Lead on design and implementation of corporate advocacy and campaigning strategies around corporate tax and inequality, food and agriculture, gender justice, business and human rights, and other agency priorities. Provide campaigns and other agency initiatives with strategic guidance and, in coordination with PSD researchers, research on the private sector.
- Manage relationships with key private sector actors and networks to advance relevant agency priorities, including private sector dialogues on responsible corporate tax practices and other agency priorities.
Raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on development and poverty issues
- Represent Oxfam America’s (corporate and other) campaigning, collaboration, and engagement at external meetings and events with industry, policy, and civil society leaders.
- Engage influential private sector actors to build support for Oxfam public policy positions.
- Provide strategic guidance on Oxfam America’s private sector strategy writ large and to private sector staff elsewhere in the Oxfam confederation.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Will stay abreast of professional trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities and demonstrate continuous learning in the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural and gender-just environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Periodic travel will be required up to a maximum of ten weeks per year.
Master’s degree in business, international development, international relations, law, public policy, and/or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience working in international development, the private sector, and/or related fields.
- Strong knowledge of corporate accountability and governance, and working knowledge of development sub-fields including corporate tax and inequality, food and agriculture, gender justice, business and human rights, and other agency priorities.
- 5-7 years of experience in (corporate) campaigning and advocacy.
- Experience working with business and with industry associations.
- Experience working effectively in teams.
- Strong writing, analytical, presentation, and relationship-building skills.
- Experience managing projects across departmental lines
- Experience working abroad
- Experience engaging in policy advocacy alongside private sector actors
- Spanish language fluency
EXEMPT / UNION / GRADE G
We are an E-Verify employer.