Senior Development Officer, Institutional Funding and Partnerships
DATE: August 28, 2020
DEPARTMENT: Institutional Funding and Partnerships (IFP)
LOCATION: Washington DC or Boston, MA
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Institutional Funding and Partnerships
COORDINATES WITH: IFP team members, Other Resource Development teams, Policy, Campaigns and Global Programs teams, Finance and Communications teams, , and program and funding staff from other Oxfam affiliates and country offices.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Serve as Donor Account Manager on behalf of the Oxfam International confederation for one or more large US foundation donors. The ultimate goal is to obtain increased support from US-based foundations, principally through developing and implementing donor engagement strategies which align the interests of Oxfam and institutional donors.
- In collaboration with fellow IFP team members, manage the relationships for assigned accounts, including developing and implementing funding strategies for assigned accounts; research foundation funding to inform strategy and build revenue pipeline; arrange for and conduct cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities; and participate in overall unit plans for development support.
- Serve as Donor Account Manager on behalf of the Oxfam confederation for one or more prominent US foundation donors.
- Maintain processes for effective donor account/constituent management, including protocols for sharing information, communicating and engagement, with high levels of satisfaction among all key internal stakeholders.
- Maintain an overview of all donor submissions, grants and awards, and share information on opportunity pipeline data and key performance indicators.
- Identify areas of mutual strategic interest between donor and Oxfam programs, assess opportunities to grow relationships with account(s), and regularly share information on funding trends.
- Maintain an up-to-date set of guidelines on donor requirements and an overview of key risks, terms and conditions, and provide effective support in grant management to prevent auditing and compliance problems, returned funds and reputational risks.
- Support proposal and report submission, including the provision of quality assurance on funding proposals developed by program teams and direct assistance on proposals as requested.
- Build capacity of Oxfam global offices through sharing of information on grant management and donor compliance, provision of training materials and tools, and promote consistency in approach and compliance across Oxfam affiliates.
- Work with program, policy and fundraising staff globally to cultivate and manage Oxfam’s relationships with the donor(s) at head and/or regional office levels.
- Manage the process for new calls for proposals from assigned account(s) as applicable.
- Work collaboratively with program/policy staff and others to make programs and initiatives more marketable to funders. Write and/or edit proposals and reports, including the narrative and financial segments, as well as cover letters, contact reports, briefings, talking points and related material as appropriate to support fundraising strategies.
- Provide guidance to program/policy staff on information required for proposals and reports to support successful fundraising. Elicit program/policy staff agreement on meeting reporting obligations to donors prior to submission of proposals. Work with the program staff to assure plans and systems are in place in order to gather the required information for reporting according to agreed timetables.
- Remain current on trends in US foundation giving. Undertake donor-related travel as appropriate. Share that learning internally.
- Be well versed in Oxfam programs and, as needed, act as a resource to staff regarding program knowledge.
- Be familiar with donor information systems, such as Salesforce.
- Perform other reasonably related duties as required.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
The incumbent will:
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based, problem-solving work culture.
- Perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and be familiar with and committed to the mission and goals of Oxfam America.
- Serve as a professional and conscientious representative of Oxfam America and the entire Oxfam confederation, maintaining confidentiality of appropriate information.
- Will have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Expectation (15%) for domestic/international travel.
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to writing, communications, political science or international development, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- 5 to 7 years of related experience with 2 or more years in successful grant-writing for US foundation donors.
- Superior writing, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to cultivate positive relationships with US foundation donors, staff, board members and volunteers; excellent listening and motivational skills.
- Strong time management, organizational, planning and administrative skills, including comfort with various information systems, and fluency with word processing and spreadsheet applications on MS Office and databases.
- Ability to manage complex proposal development with multiple applicants and interlocking budgets.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices relative to US foundations.
- Knowledge of restricted funding budget construction and interpretation.
- Ability to communicate in French or Spanish.
- Master’s Degree in a field related to writing, communications, political science or international development.
- Experience in an issue-oriented non-profit organization or in an international development organization.
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.