Manager, Content Services
The Manager of Content Services oversees the highly technical and ever-evolving production process for O’Reilly’s print and ebook publishing program. In addition, the Manager will guide the production team in support of new learning products, including interactive and other technologies not typically found in traditional book publishing. The Manager plays a key role in supporting our Editorial team and authors, and in creating and optimizing workflows, processes, and guidance to ensure timeliness, high quality, and excellent customer service.
This position is responsible for overall scheduling and management, ensuring the timely and successful completion of every stage in the production process, including pre-production checks, file conversions, art preparation, page layout, copyediting, proofreading, indexing, and quality check reviews. The Manager is responsible for ensuring that all titles are produced on schedule and according to O’Reilly quality standards. Direct reports for this position include six production editors as well as personnel involved in reprints, errata, art production, and vendor coordination. This position reports to the VP, Publishing Operations and is located in our Boston, MA office.
- Manage and support staff of approximately 6-8 people, including Production Editors and other related positions, driving to meet publishing schedules and maintain quality
- Evaluate manuscripts submitted to Production to ascertain production-readiness
- Monitor & report on progress of books through Production; assign projects to Production Editors and guide projects to completion
- Monitor and maintain high quality standards for all books/ebooks; ensure production team supports authors, editors, and customers
- Align production team with editorial and corporate goals
- Strong knowledge of and hands-on experience with production processes, including project management, copyediting, proofreading, typesetting, indexing, technical illustration, page layout, offset printing, and POD printing
- Comfortable working in technical environments and some knowledge/familiarity with tools/technologies such as markup languages, HTML, asciidoc, XML, product databases, git and/or GitHub, some familiarity with running command line scripts
- Experience hiring and managing external production vendors
- Strong ability to lead a team to achieve company goals
- Working knowledge of traditional publishing page layout software suites, especially InDesign, as well as re-flowable formats (HTML and/or XML)
- Practical knowledge and understanding of job-costing methods and analysis
- Practical knowledge of e-content trends and directions, as well as a passion for helping reinvent the publishing industry with new types of e-content solutions
- Basic knowledge of digital publishing formats, especially ePub
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent proofreading and organizational skills; strong attention to detail and deadline-orientation
- Ability to manage many different projects with varying degrees of urgency, frequent changes, and several responsible parties
- 4-year college degree in English, communications, publishing, or related field; or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 7 years publishing experience with an emphasis on production tools and technologies; 3 years working in an STM publishing environment
- 3 years publishing experience in a lead production role.