Signal Operations Engineer
ON24 is on a mission to transform the way businesses drive revenue and customer engagement through data-rich digital experiences. Powered by the ON24 Platform, marketers create and deliver live, always-on and personalized webinar, content and virtual event experiences to engage audiences in real-time, to generate powerful buying signals and to accelerate pipeline. With billions of engagement minutes created, ON24 is the network where enterprises engage prospects and customers at global scale. Headquartered in San Francisco, ON24 has a wide international footprint serving the regions of North America, EMEA and JPAC. For more information, visit https://www.on24.com.A Signal Operations Engineer is responsible for supporting the technical aspects of ON24’s Signal Operations department. This includes but isn’t limited to the live acquisition of audio and video feeds, the audio/video encoding and delivery of those streams to ON24’s distribution paths (media servers & CDNs) for ON24’s webcasts and virtual events.
They handle Signal Operations support tickets that are submitted to the department by internal and external teams. They support the Signal Operations staff and handle advanced requirements like custom events, peer to peer, multicasting and unicast replication events. Signal Operations Engineers also maintain the infrastructure and participate in the implementation of new systems and technology.
This position requires an individual who is extremely knowledgeable, is detail oriented, can work under stressful conditions, can multitask and possesses solid technical, production and customer service skills.
- Have a complete understanding of new and existing streaming media and encoding technology.
- Handle the operation of advanced signal events and services; including multicast, unicast replication, and other types of custom events. This can involve various event, server-side, and encoder configuration, and working with client facing IT and event teams.
- Work directly with Sales, clients and event coordinators on the technical parts of the signal acquisition of an ON24 webcast.
- Perform ongoing maintenance of the Signal Operations infrastructure, equipment, and servers: encoders, media servers – publishing points, VCU’s, audio/video devices, workstations, broadcasting, etc. This includes installation, troubleshooting, and working repair/support tickets with vendors.
- Familiar with broadcasting infrastructure and procedures.
- Address and answer event support tickets related to Signal Operations.
- Provide support to Signal Operators on issues impacting live events, both when in the office and after-hours (must be reachable via cell phone after-hours).
- Troubleshoot, test, and maintain the automated audio encoding systems and various back-end systems.
- Address issues and new requirements with vendors; including Telco and CDN.
- Use knowledge and experience to train the team and create or update documentation.
- Perform and understand Signal Operator duties.
- Are available during after-hours/ outside normal business hours or weekend events or tests, as needed.
- 2 to 4 years experience in an information technology, streaming media, or broadcast operations environment, with knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems administration, or experience with video and audio production.
- Experience with:
- Live encoding applications (Wirecast, OBS, FMLE, etc.)
- Videoconferencing technologies (H.323 & H.320, SIP, WebRTC)
- ISDN devices (Video Conferencing Units (Polycom, Tandberg, Cisco) & Gateways)
- Telephone interfaces (digital hybrids)
- Telco Services (1MBs/POTs, SIP, PRI, BRI)
- Vyvx and video fiber transmission (HD-SDI/ASI)
- Video & audio engineering and audio/video calibration
- Troubleshooting Networking and PC hardware (Wireshark experience a plus)
- Multicasting, peer to peer, and Unicast Replication technologies
- Content Delivery Networks (CDN)
- Cable plants and signal routing devices
- Video & audio monitoring equipment
- Broadcast Systems & Infrastructure (Evertz is preferred)
- Audio and Video Codecs
- On-demand media file creation (FLV, MP3, MP4)
- Knowledge of Freeswitch and/or Asterisk is a plus
- Knowledge of videoconferencing, media streaming formats, signal acquisition, webcasting, and a/v production is required.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to interact with clients over the phone.
- Troubleshooting skills and solid understanding of basic computer and networking concepts.
- Ability to learn quickly and tackle new and technically complicated problems with courage and tenacity.
- Ideally: detail oriented, an organized thinker and able to work in stressful conditions.
- Solid communication skills, multi-tasking and prioritization skills, and the ability to act decisively in a rapidly changing environment.
- Integrity, Creativity, Intellectual Curiosity, High Standards, Persistence, and Achievement oriented.
ON24 is proud to be an equal employment opportunities (EEO) workplace to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ON24 complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, ON24 will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.