Senior Medical Director
Title: Senior Medical Director
Oak Street Health is a rapidly growing, innovative company of community-based healthcare centers delivering higher quality health and wellness care that improves outcomes, manages medical costs and provides an unmatched experience for adults on Medicare in medically underserved communities. By providing holistic, comprehensive and integrated care right in our patients’ communities, we can help keep them healthy and reinvest cost savings in further care for those same communities and others. Since 2013, Oak Street Health has brought its singular approach to tens of thousands of people across the nation. With an ambitious growth trajectory, Oak Street Health is attracting and cultivating team members who embody Oak Street values and are passionate about our mission to rebuild healthcare as it should be.
For more information, visit www.oakstreethealth.com.
The Senior Medical Director will join Oak Street Health at a critical time in the history of our company and of primary care. The opportunity for impact is large and growing, with Oak Street Health leading the transition from fee-for-service to value-based care.
The Senior Medical Director will be responsible for leading our provider teams in the local market. The Senior Medical Director will partner with the Regional Vice President to achieve operational and clinical excellence and world class performance in hospital admissions, quality, patient satisfaction, clinician satisfaction, and medical cost. To offer context for the practice and to remain close to our patients, the Senior Medical Director will practice primary care in our clinics 2 1/2 days per week alongside his/her provider colleagues. The Senior Medical Director will report to the Executive Medical Director for the region. Additionally, we see this leader as a key thought partner in providing feedback on our clinical model.
In addition to the clinical duties caring for Oak Street patients, the Senior Medical Director is responsible for the following leadership and administrative duties:
Medical Director Management & Coaching: The Senior Medical Director will lead and mentor the health center Medical Directors in his/her region. This includes:
- Supervising center medical directors and ensuring their priorities are in line with those of the organization. This includes but is not limited to supporting the medical directors as they manage their teams, being the “go-to” for all questions, and communicating updates and business priorities, including:
- Assisting in offering constructive feedback to providers to improve performance.
- Helping medical directors master data-driven tools and practices required to keep patients well and out of the hospital.
- Reviewing quality dashboards with medical directors, and implementing initiatives to improve quality outcomes.
- Providing managed care perspective to medical directors as they lead their teams.
- Understanding and communicating provider performance/compensation plans.
- The Senior Medical Director will be responsible for interviewing, hiring, and retaining providers throughout the region.
Physician Leadership Development: The Senior Medical Director will develop physician leadership in providers throughout the market, with support from Provider Services. The goal is to develop a pipeline of internal clinical leaders who are skilled in problem solving, communication, conflict resolution, value-based care delivery, and collaboration with clinicians and executives.
Support Organizational Strategy: The Senior Medical Director’s duties are primarily focused on the management of his/her market, but in addition the Senior Medical Director will have input into a variety of organizational-wide projects, and will join committees for clinical programs to support the enhancement of the care model, including:
- Medical Management
- Care Management
- Quality Improvement
- Utilization Management
- Network Management
- Health Plan Management
- Documentation/Risk Adjustment
- Clinical Compliance & Policy Development
- This includes representing Oak Street to external partners (e.g., payers, providers) and creating relationships and partnerships that support our mission and our economics.
As a part of the Population Health program at Oak Street Health, the Senior Medical Director will be expected to:
- Supervise the interdisciplinary Complex Care Teams focused on our highest need patients in the market.
- Supervise the Transitions Nurses, who track all hospitalized patients are coordinate post-discharge care
- Partner with the population health and quality teams to advance our care model.
- Participate in documentation and coding activities, including provider education and review sessions.
Drive Culture: Oak Street Health fosters a culture of innovation and open dialogue, and works with urgency. This requires high energy, active listening skills, and a comfort with and commitment to regular change. Our Senior Medical Directors support this culture and serve as role models for the health center teams, emphasizing the interdisciplinary approach to meeting our Mission.
Ideal candidates will satisfy the following:
- Passionate about their work, eager to have fun with our team, motivated to be a part of a fast growing organization.
- Self aware and confident in their leadership skills and eager to share those with a fast growing, energetic team on the leading edge of healthcare innovation.
- M.D. or D.O. graduates.
- Board certified in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine.
- Fellowship training in Geriatrics and/or other professional degrees (e.g., M.B.A., J.D., M.P.H.) welcome but certainly not required.
- 5+ years of experience in outpatient practice.
- 3+ years of experience in a physician management role or role as medical director, managing a medical group of 20 or more providers.
- Extensive experience in clinical leadership roles, leading and coaching physicians to be the best they can be for their patients and their colleagues.
- Experience with managed care and/or value-based practice and familiarity with payer-provider collaboration.
- Experience using a metrics-driven approach to analyze cost, quality, and satisfaction data to drive clinical strategy and program redesign.
- Excited by developing and implementing new processes. Must be willing to “get hands dirty” in executing upon the Oak Street vision.
- Understand the basics of managed care and recognize that population health and a focus on smart allocation of scarce resources can lead to high value care (better care, lower cost).
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Commitment to older adults and to low-income patients.
- Comfort with ambiguity and a love for problem solving.
Oak Street Health embraces diversity and includes all interested readers to apply.