Coordinator, Media & Public Relations
About the Department
The Media & Public Relations department creates and implements the communications framework and strategies for the organization. The overall objectives of the department are to proactively develop relationships with local, national, and international media outlets, and to build consistent media interest and exposure throughout the year for New York Road Runners and its road running events. The department creates strategic communications plans for the TCS New York City Marathon, NYC Half, and numerous marquee running events citywide. One of the core goals of the department is to establish the organization as the road racing industry leader. This department also oversees all television and video production.
- Provide public relations support for NYRR initiatives including Professional Athletes and Youth and Community Services.
- Support the media strategy and implementation for select NYRR youth and community programming in an administrative capacity
- Provide public relations support and drive local and out-of-market stories for events, programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate onsite press activities and media plans for select weekly races and serve as main point of contact
- Coordinate media credentialing and photo operations at the TCS New York City Marathon.
- Support the development of Media & Public Relations publications including media guides, race day notes, etc.
- Coordinate the race entry process for NYRR Media & PR department.
- Support and develop content for the NYRR Online Media Center and NYRR News social channel.
- Support management of media monitoring and coverage reports for NYRR initiatives.
- Organize and manage a media database of key contacts across all media including broadcast, print and new media.
- Provide scheduling and administrative assistance for Senior Vice President, Media & Public Relations.
- Manage collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Create and pitch storylines to maximize exposure of NYRR efforts.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in public relations, media relations or communications
- Experience with content management systems and media monitoring systems is a plus
- Experience in sports is preferred
- Bachelor’s in public relations, communications, or related degree
Skills and Attributes:
- Must have exceptional writing skills
- Ability to multi-task, work on tight deadlines, think under pressure and prioritize multiple projects
- Must be organized, proactive and self-motivated
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Available for non-traditional work week including nights and weekends.
- Writing samples (Ex: media kits, press releases, etc.)
- 2-3 media clips
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer