Director, Marathon and Weekly Race Marketing
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Position
The Director, Marathon and Weekly Race Marketing, will be responsible for the annual planning and execution of the TCS New York City Marathon marketing strategy and marketing all NYRR weekly races. This position resides in the Marketing department, reporting to the Senior Director, Marketing.
- Lead the TCS New York City Marathon marketing communications including; brand strategy & visual identity, positioning, campaign, media planning, consumer engagement, experiential activations and more.
- Establish and lead all Marathon marketing planning working collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization including; Digital Content, Creative Services Events, PR, Partnerships, Youth & Community, and Strategy & Planning.
- Strategic lead responsible for development and execution of the Marathon advertising campaign. Serve as thought leader and brand steward of campaign, ensuring brand and messaging consistency across organization-wide initiatives.
- Define goals, key strategies and most efficient & effective tactics to drive ongoing engagement throughout the year.
- Manage multiple agency partners and internal creative resources including advertising, media, brand design, signage and experiential. Ensure agency partners push the boundaries, bring forward best-in-class ideas, and drive innovation across key tactics.
- Serve as marketing lead and/or consultant for RFPs related to all Marathon initiatives including; advertising, media, experiential, etc.
- Lead planning and execution of the annual Marathon media strategy including management of Out-of-Home and Digital Paid media vendors and agencies. Be a thought leader and drive innovation across all channels.
- Responsible for driving the annual Marathon application process including development of marketing and communications launch plan, strategic KPIs and consumer data capture.
- Collaborate with digital and social teams to drive innovation across key owned channels. Establish best practices for leveraging digital platforms and technology to support campaign & messaging.
- TV broadcast: Work collaboratively with external broadcast partners and internal broadcast production and PR/Media department, to optimize branding and maximize messaging opportunities across the Marathon broadcast.
- Serve as Marketing lead for Marathon signage planning (including hard and digital signage) working in collaboration with in-house Creative Services Department, ED&P, Digital Content and agencies and vendor(s). Specifically, responsible for the branding and creative look and feel.
- Work collaboratively with internal Experiential team on development of the TCSNYCM Expo and Pavilion race week experiences - focusing on branded signage, content and communications.
- Collaborate with merchandising and licensing department and New Balance on development of TCS New York City Marathon wearables and merchandising elements.
- Collaborate with Partnership team to ensure partner integration across all Marathon initiatives, including execution of contracted assets and approval of partner driven marketing programs and materials. Primary point person for annual Partner Forum marketing materials development.
- Lead all media partnerships, i.e; Runner’s World, New York Times, iHeart Media, etc. Ensure successful execution of year-round contract, tracking deliverables and ensuring Partner assets help drive and support key Marathon initiatives.
Weekly Race Marketing
- Lead marketing for all weekly races (not including Five Borough Series or Heritage races)
- Develop communications plans, and external promotional and advertising plans to drive sell-out and/or registration goals for each race.
- Develop / maintain brand identities for the races, including logos, signage, race collateral and premiums, advertising & communications materials, and on-site experiences
- Collaborate with Creative Services team to ensure successful execution of all creative deliverables against tight timelines and budgets.
- Work closely with the Partnership team on partnered races, to execute partner contracted assets, drive engagement among NYRR members, activate against Partner goals and manage approvals process.
- Collaborate with the Event Development & Production team on execution and branding of the race day experience
- Lead the registration launches of all races on NYRR.org; working closely with all internal stakeholders.
- Deliver thought-leadership, bring new ideas around race promotion, explore grass-roots marketing and partnership ideas that deliver strategic, innovative, hyper-local awareness to NYRR races.
- Provide leadership and guidance to senior manager and manager direct reports.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards
- Prepare performance appraisals. Work with next level management (directors or department head as applicable) when employee performance does not meet standards
- Provide effective feedback and coaching to employees, including potential areas of improvement
- Create goals for the team and individual employees
- Encourage an environment of transparency, support, development, and growth
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately
- Ensure employees and staff adhere to company policies and procedures
- Make decisions based on best interest of organization
- Track employee attendance, if applicable
- Collaborate with Human Resources as support
- Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values
- 10+ years of marketing experience on property, agency, or client side.
- Experience in campaign management, consumer engagement marketing, media planning/oversight.
- Experience managing internal direct reports and cross functional teams.
- Experience managing a number of work intensive projects simultaneously.
- Budget management and P&L experience.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in Marketing, Business, or a related field
- Master’s Degree or MBA a plus
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship and team building skills, ability to collaborate effectively to meet diverse stakeholder and partner goals.
- Ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines, think clearly under pressure, and exercise good judgment
- Excellent time, multi-tasking, and project management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work long hours and work on NYRR events on weekends as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, ever changing environment
- Passion for NYRR and our mission.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer