Manager, Runner Training & Education
About the Department
Runner Products supports the training, racing and community experience of our runners -through classes, seminars and customized training programs. The team also provides experiences to enhance the runner's engagement with the running community and their experience at NYRR events, whether it is through our membership program, race photography or ticketed events. The Runner Services team is the information source for our runner, serving for a conduit of information and an advocate for NYRR's runner-first philosophy. NYRR’s Charity Programs include Champion’s Circle and over 350 charities who partner with NYRR to raise over $30 million cumulatively through volunteers running the marathon each fall.
About the Position
NYRR is seeking a Manager in Runner Training & Education who can contribute to the Training Team’s strategy, business planning and execution of all education-related runner products. This includes group training, online training, coach development, run history tours, pre/post-race stretching and race pacer program. This is a runner-facing role with high impact opportunities for promoting the NYRR brand and mission.
- Assist in the development and execution of the plans for NYRR Group Training across all five boroughs.
- Work alongside the Training Team in developing the Group Training marketing plan with Marketing to build awareness, reach and participation.
- Coordinate the schedules, together with Group Training park leads, for all coaches to ensure a low runner-to-coach ratio. Be the in-house park lead for Extended Tempo, Astoria Park, Clove Lakes Park and future locations.
Online Coaching and Virtual Training landscape
- Work alongside our Senior Digital Products Manager in the development and execution of new digital training offerings.
- Work alongside the Training Team in managing and supporting NYRR’s online provider of training, while contributing to content development, new program development and race specific training details.
- Assist with the marketing of NYRR’s online training programs with the aim of growing awareness of and participation in the program.
- Assist with NYRR’s Race Pace teams for key races, including recruiting runners, providing uniforms, coordinating pacer corrals.
- Work alongside NYRR’s Race Pace team’s manager to market and support race pace service to NYRR community.
Coach Recruitment, Training and Onboarding
- Create a strategy to identify, recruit and train prospective Group and Online-Training coaches with an emphasis on building a team of high energy, passionate, knowledgeable, community-focused coaches; runners should have a consistent experience across all parks and groups.
- Utilize your network and connections in the local running community to identify and recruit eligible candidates.
- Work with HR to establish a consistent onboarding process.
- Ensure that all new coaches are well informed on NYRR and best practices prior to their first day coaching.
- 3+ Years of prior running coaching experience
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- RRCA and/or USATF Certification
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certified
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills and ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Off hours availability a must, with a need to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Occasionally serve as spokesperson for NYRR when requested by the media team, marketing or others in the organization
- Comfortable in a forward-facing position with public speaking and on-camera experience
- Represent NYRR in virtual training on social media
- Support training-related initiatives including but not limited to Facebook Live chats, Running 101s, corporate trainings, etc.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer